Google will not label games filled with in-app purchases as free anymore

Justin Kahn

Following outrage among parents, the EU asked both Google and Apple to implement changes to the way apps are sold. The issue was mainly regarding free apps that are loaded with in-app purchases and those that can lure children into spending real dollars. The EU also wants explicit info to be shown regarding purchases and for both companies to force game developers to provide contact information. 

According to the European Commission, Google is already beginning to address some of the issues with in-app purchases. The search giant will begin implementing changes as early as September with regards to free-to-play games with in-app purchases being labeled as such, along with offering up new guidelines for developers to protect children. Google will also be adding measures to monitor breaches of EU law in order to stay on top of the situation. 

Apple, on the other hand, hasn't done anything yet, according to the EU. While the company has said that it promised to deal with the problem, we are yet to see or hear anything concrete at this point. However, Apple has had its fair share of similar issues with the FCC, so it is likely only a matter of time before Cupertino complies to the EU's new decision. Apple was previously forced to add alerts to notify customers of in-app purchases and various parental controls following pressure from the FCC.

In a recent statement, regarding the the EU's comments, Apple simply noted the importance of its parental controls and how its features are far beyond that of its competitors. It also added that it will be working with countries in the EU on an individual basis in response to in-app purchase concerns, among other things.

Permalink to story.

I thought they both have a password wall for in-app-purchases? I know with my android, I needed to put a password in the first time to buy something in-app (then it was "unlocked" for 30 mins)...

I'm glad free and freemium will now be classified into separate categories. These gaming companies know that getting a user to install their app is half the battle. Anything to make consumers think twice about downloading microtransaction riddled applications is a step towards discouraging it altogether.

If you have any game made by Gameloft you can see that their games are almost impossible to beat because you need to spend like $1000 on boosts. I recently installed Asphalt 8, which is a free game and I instantly got stabbed in the eyes by a $100 car pack which includes just 4 cars of 62. You can't even start a race if you don't have a specific car which costs a lot and some of them can only be bought by real money. This can surely help avoiding those games.

There's nothing I hate more than finding a decent "free" game just to find out that not only does it have advertisements but also you cannot experience the entire game unless you purchase something.

I hate these games and instantly uninstall them whether I loved the concept of the game or not. I'd rather pay a few bucks to unlock the entire game and still view advertisements than to miss out on a good game because it's a pay to play game.

Technically these games were never free and should never have been labeled as such... but I guess that's just an opinion. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who thought so. Thank you angry parents!

If you have any game made by Gameloft you can see that their games are almost impossible to beat because you need to spend like $1000 on boosts. I recently installed Asphalt 8, which is a free game and I instantly got stabbed in the eyes by a $100 car pack which includes just 4 cars of 62. You can't even start a race if you don't have a specific car which costs a lot and some of them can only be bought by real money. This can surely help avoiding those games.

I bought the game when it was $1, and was able to do quite a bit of racing without paying anything. It's true that for some things you need specific cars, but you can enjoy the game enough without this, IMO.

So not only you bought the freaking game BUT you get the fun of also in-app purchases to enjoy it?? That's something I hate!

If I payed for the efing game I want it to be full and free of future charges!

Back