Google's Nexus 6 to feature 5.92-inch, 2,560 x 1,440 display with 498 PPI, report claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

motorola shamu nexus qhd ppi mah google android phablet android l shamu nexus 6

We’ve been hearing for some time now that Google and Motorola are working together on the next Nexus device, codenamed “Shamu.” The latest scuttlebutt on the matter reiterates the rumored 5.92-inch display and reveals a few other design delements.

According to 9to5Google, the Nexus 6 won’t be all that different from the second generation Moto X – the site even called it a “scaled up” version of Motorola’s latest. There will be some minor tweaks designed to make the screen easier to use and the volume / lock buttons will be positioned a bit lower but that’s about it.

google nexus ppi android motorola phablet moto x android l shamu nexus 6

As for specifications, the 5.92-inch display will be of the QHD nature (2,560 x 1,440) with a pixel density of 498 PPI. A 3,200mAh battery will be tasked with powering all of those pixels throughout the day. Around back is a 13-megapixel camera rumored to be able to shoot 4K video at launch. A 2-megapixel camera will be used on the front, identical to the one on the second generation Moto X.

The device is expected to run a Snapdragon 805 SoC with 3GB of RAM although the publication hasn’t seen any indication that it’ll run 64-bit Android L.

Wrapping up, the publication believes the phone will arrive with Nexus branding. Depending on pricing, it could easily turn out to be the best Nexus smartphone to date. We should find out for sure in the not-too-distant future as it is slated to be announced late next month with an early November launch.

Permalink to story.

I know a couple people that got G3's and one person took his back because the battery life was so bad compared to his G2. I just went through an upgrade and wanted the S5 or G3 (G2 was unavailable) but either was $240 even with a 2 year, so I got an updated S4 in BlackMist (1.9Ghz Snapdragon 600, Adreno 320, 5" 1080p) for next to nothing and I LOVE it.
Anything bigger then 5" would annoy the hell out of me, but I am sure others won't mind.

Last edited:
My Nexus 5 seems like the perfect size in my opinion. Of this is all rumors and the phone may not be quite as large. The Moto X 2nd gen is an amazing phone already, albeit a little bigger than I'd like. I agree the previous comment suggesting lower res and longer battery life. At least it will put Apple to shame, then again 2 year old Android phones already do.

Ok this is getting ridiculous now. Nexus 4/Nexus 5 are great phones but any phone above 5" screen is a turn off for me. As lot of people has pointed out I'd rather go for a 5" or less screen size with more battery life.

If I wanted a tablet I would have bought one.

Same rubbish commentary from everyone else with vague references to sources that I think are just made up.

Then this phone is pretty much a tablet. I would like it to be 5" max or stay the same size (which is still about 5"). Nexus 6 was designed by someone who has shovels for arms.

Personally I think that some of the features are too overpowered: 3 GB (1,5-2GB is enough for me), screen size, screen resolution and the ability to record 4K videos. IMO the Nexus 5 would be the perfect smartphone if they had put in a bigger battery.

But I guess in one or two years I'll regret these words.

Nearly 6 inches?! Guess which Nexus phone I WON'T be getting this year. The N5 is pushing my limits size wise.

Really bummed they decided to make it so big. It's just too big for me so I won't be getting it. Screen sizes are getting our of control. 5" to 5.2" is the max for me.

Really people, since 1080p, 2gb ram, quad core, etc.. specs like these can handle (maybe?) all of the applications in the market (currently), what drastic change can we expect from future phones?

1440p, 3gb ram, etc.. these are not drastic. I guess the interval of buying new phone will become bigger in these years.

No point of a resolution above 1080P. Also what is the point of this if it is basically a Moto X clone...

Back