GoPro Hero4 will shoot 4K at 30 frames per second and slo-motion videos

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gopro hero4 leak gopro 4k video action camera

Specifications for the next action camera from GoPro have hit the web ahead of an expected summer launch. The device, which we’ll call the GoPro Hero4, will be able to record 4K video at up to 30 frames per second in addition to grabbing slow-motion clips at 120 frames per second in 1080p and super slow-motion at 240 frames at 720p.

Elsewhere, the revised camera is said to be powered by an dual-core 1GHz A9 system-on-chip from Ambarella, the same company that has supplied the SoC is previous generations. The shooter will include multi-exposure HDR and WDR tone mapping as well as electronic image stabilization and the ability to shoot 13-megapixel stills. We’re also hearing the lens will be improved for shooting in low-light situations.

GoPro is about due for an upgrade after having launched the previous Hero3 line back in October 2012. Those in the know may point out that the top-of-the-line Black Edition is already capable of recording 4K video but truth be told, it’s more of a novelty than anything due to its 15 frames per second limitation.

gopro hero4

If accurate, the GoPro Hero4 will be able to record usable 4K video on the go.

The information comes from a “leaked” press release that first appeared on EOSHD. I’m going to assume English isn’t the first language of whoever wrote the press release as it’s a pretty tough read but it does jive with earlier specification rumors.

Permalink to story.

Sounds awesome. I've been really close to buying one recently, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe I can hold out some more and see if the release of this drops the price on the current gen.

Cool, video at 30FPS is fine and would look nice on one of these devices. But im just stuck with my iPhone video recording and pics because they look just fine.

Though I may want one of these.

I get the typical use of a gopro cam, sports and rough stuff but.......can't they make them on a nicer design? my god are those cams UGLY

I think them looking the way they do is due to the fact that they are pretty indestructible as well.

Back