GoPro introduces flagship Hero 12 Black action camera starting at $399

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: GoPro has introduced the latest addition to its long-running line of action cameras. The aptly named GoPro Hero 12 Black sports a number of improvements over its predecessor and is available to pre-order from today ahead of its September 13 worldwide launch.

The Hero 12 Black includes the company's Enduro rechargeable battery which, when combined with the camera's improved power management system, can deliver up to 2x longer runtime compared to its predecessor (over 155 minutes of recording at 1080p30 / 95+ minutes at 5.3K30).

Speaking of quality, the new action camera can capture at up to 5.3K resolution at up to 30 frames per second. As GoPro notes, that's 91 percent more resolution than 4K and 665 percent more than 1080p. Other recording modes include 8x slo-mo at up to 2.7K resolution and traditional 4K capture at up to 120 frames per second. Stills can be grabbed at up to 27 megapixels.

GoPro's latest also supports wireless audio, allowing users to capture audio directly from Bluetooth devices like earbuds, headphones, microphones, and even Apple AirPods. A range of aspect ratio options caters to all sorts of content creators, and timecode sync makes it easy to sync an unlimited number of Hero 12 Blacks for multi-camera editing.

GoPro also announced its new Max Lens Mod 2.0, an attachable lens accessory that can expand the camera's field of view up to 177 degrees at 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. The add-on is said to be smaller and lighter than its predecessor, and features a lens that is twice as scratch resistant as before. Other accessories, like an extension pole and a waterproof shutter remote, are coming in October, we're told.

The GoPro Hero 12 Black starts at $399.99 and the Max Lens Mod 2.0 will set you back another $99.99 (or $79.99 for GoPro subscribers). A Creator Edition that bundles several additional accessories will also be available for $599.99. Pre-orders are open now ahead of a planned September 13 launch.

Permalink to story.

I've never had a problem with the Gopro we have maybe 5 or 6 - but I have seen lots of complaints over years or quality control - overheating etc .
I think now the number 1 thing for action cameras is reliability , ease of use and rugginess - 5.3K blah blah blah - would be interesting to see how a new Model 11 pro - done overkill to above - released at same time would do
ie Gopro11 V2 - all issues fixed - higher grade materials

Honestly, at some point I can’t tell the difference in resolution. Plus, file sizes are becoming absurdly large. I had over 750Gb of just GoPro 11 video returning from a 2-week summer vacation. I’m still archiving it to my NAS.

10-bit log is a worthwhile upgrade. Looking forward to more in-depth reviews for how it's implemented though - Protune flat profile is a pain to work with properly. Also remains to be seen whether crashing/hanging and overheating are still issues though.

@kiwigraeme the most reliable GoPro model in my inventory is the Hero 5 Black. 7 and up have been very temperamental for me.

Great gadjet. Too bad I got nothing to use it for.
I wonder if they are going to try to conquer drone camera market
with their cameras.

Honestly, at some point I can’t tell the difference in resolution. Plus, file sizes are becoming absurdly large. I had over 750Gb of just GoPro 11 video returning from a 2-week summer vacation. I’m still archiving it to my NAS.

Because resolution does not matter, to an extent. While HD to UHD is noticeable, anything more is a gimmick, great for reframing however.

What really matters is good colour science, dynamic range, 10Bit.

Back