Gorilla Glass to expand into the automotive industry next year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gorilla glass cars corning

Gorilla Glass has been in existence since the 1960s but until about seven years ago when the first iPhone came along, there was never a market for it – so much so that Corning never actually even produced it. Now the incredibly strong glass that is used in more than 1.5 billion smartphones and tablets across the globe could soon find a new home in the automotive industry.

It’s no secret that auto makers are always on the lookout for ways to reduce the weight of their vehicles which in turn leads to better performance and fuel economy – the latter metric being especially important as of late due to increased oil prices and the desire to save money at the pump.

Gorilla Glass could be the next logical solution according to Corning senior vice president Jeffrey Evenson, who expects at least one high-end manufacturer to start using Gorilla Glass to replace windows within the next year. In addition to weight savings, Corning’s glass will also act as a sound deadening material to reduce road and wind noise, we’re told.

Aside from Gorilla Glass, however, Corning is working on some other new products. One is an antimicrobial glass that will soon be certified by the US Environmental Protection Agency for use in the health care industry. And let’s not forget about Willow Glass, the material that is flexible like plastic yet strong and durable like regular glass.

Permalink to story.

They must have made some changes since the 60's for auto glass use. When they originally wanted to use it cars they couldn't because it was too strong. Windshields need to break in an accident in case your head hits one. The original gorilla glass wouldn't break and it didn't do well in crash tests.

They must have made some changes since the 60's for auto glass use. When they originally wanted to use it cars they couldn't because it was too strong. Windshields need to break in an accident in case your head hits one. The original gorilla glass wouldn't break and it didn't do well in crash tests.

Then they invented airbags and made seat-belts mandatory and stopped our pesky faces from ever getting near our windshields. Now the bigger concern is for the people getting hit by cars, again the same issue arises that the 60s had where the glass will be too strong and not provide enough energy absorption. But I don't think there's any regulation for that yet.

I see this being first used in S Class Mercedes and other manufacturers will follow in years to come.

Gorilla glass as a source material for front (back, and door) windshield and with possible incorporation of cellphone/tablet technology is a nice move forward.

(and hehehe...the gorilla is in the driver seat.)

I've been wanting to remove the crappy stock coating on my U3011 and replace it with Gorilla glass, Corning is only a couple hours from me.

How about the idea using gorilla glass on the surface of body panel?

Just don't drop your car on the corner, the glass will shatter like it does on a cell
phone LOL.

Then they invented airbags and made seat-belts mandatory and stopped our pesky faces from ever getting near our windshields. Now the bigger concern is for the people getting hit by cars, again the same issue arises that the 60s had where the glass will be too strong and not provide enough energy absorption. But I don't think there's any regulation for that yet.

I see this being first used in S Class Mercedes and other manufacturers will follow in years to come.

I don't know if there's regulation for pedestrian safety, but there is a star rating! Guess pedestrians walk off curbs with some regularity oblivious to their surroundings. And the star rating measures how comfortable the crash is to their little plugged-in, jacked-up, non-thinking heads.

www.fiafoundation.org/news/archive/2005/Pages/EuroNCAPannouncesfirstfour-starratingforpedestrianprotection.aspx

I couldn't find similar tests for North America. But they're so lawsuit happy there, they probably want to harden the glass to the point where it bounces the pedestrian into a chain reaction event taking out their next of kin until there's nobody left to sue the driver. (joking)

I was watching the Gorilla Glass 3 demo at Youtube.com where the heavy steel ball bounces off the new Gorilla Glass, thinking that will bounce a head or two off the glass with some energy.

I wonder if they would attached a ios or android in the screen? I know it could distract the driver but it could be a big screen if they are not driving. :p

Back