Got a music question for Siri? If you don't subscribe to Apple Music, she may refuse to answer

midian182

Staff member

Siri, Apple’s intelligent personal assistant and ‘knowledge navigator,’ is designed to make iPhone users’ lives easier. But it appears, however, that Siri is a lot more helpful to those who have signed up for certain Apple services. One example of this is Siri’s refusal to provide music information to those people who aren’t subscribers to Apple Music.

Several Siri users who aren't paid members of Apple's streaming service, including Pandora co-creator Tom Conrad, have noticed her less-than-helpful attitude when it comes to chart enquires. “I can’t look up the music charts for you. You don’t seem to be subscribed to Apple Music,” is a typical answer non-subscribers can expect.

As many Apple music listeners are coming to the end of their three-month free trials, this looks like a move by the company to try and coax them into taking out full subscriptions – of course they could just use Google to answer their music queries.

It has been pointed out that Siri gets its music information from Apple’s streaming service, and directs users with music questions into the iOS app. But there’s no reason why non-subscribers can’t be directed to a typical web search.

It’s not as if Apple desperately needs to attract more paying subscribers to Apple music; last week, company CEO Tim Cook revealed the streaming service reached 6.5 million paid subscribers within the first month after the end of the free trial period for early adopters. It may be lagging behind Spotify’s 20 million paid subscribers, but Apple Music is on its way to becoming a billion dollar business.

Apple has not commented on the story.

Permalink to story.

Reminds me of Outlook.com.
Can't remember when it started but when I login to Outlook to check my email there is a message on the right side of the screen that says:
"It looks like you're using an ad blocker, to maximize the space in your inbox, sign up for Ad-Free Outlook."

Ad Free Outlook is $20 a year.
I don't want see ad's on my email, I don't want to pay to use email, and I am not turning ad block off. I understand I am getting a free service so they can make changes. Thats nice.
Like many others, I am slowly getting away from Microsoft and converting to Google.

Can't remember when it started but when I login to Outlook to check my email there is a message on the right side of the screen that says:
"It looks like you're using an ad blocker, to maximize the space in your inbox, sign up for Ad-Free Outlook."

I don't want see ad's on my email, I don't want to pay to use email, and I am not turning ad block off. I understand I am getting a free service so they can make changes. Thats nice.
Like many others, I am slowly getting away from Microsoft and converting to Google.
So let me get this straight. You want to leave Microsoft's free Ad supported service, with its one and only advert to the right of the screen, so you can instead use the most Ad infested service in the world? Well, that makes perfect sense, so much so I had to read it twice just to make sure I read it right.

Noticed this too, started a few weeks ago.
They should stop displaying that message, that would "maximize the space" too.

I just use the Soundhound app. Not only do I get the song, I also get the lyrics, date of release and other useful info.

Back