GPD introduces the Win Max, the 'world's smallest handheld gaming laptop'

Polycount

Staff
In context: Few companies are as well-known in the ultra-portable gaming device market as GPD. The Chinese company specializes in making the smallest gaming PCs it possibly can, such as the $650 GPD Win 2 or its predecessor, the original GPD Win.

While there are obvious drawbacks that come with gaming on such small devices, GPD's gadgets nonetheless manage to impress many. Now, the company is hoping that trend will continue with the GPD Win Max, its latest portable gaming machine (and the "world's smallest handheld gaming laptop," to boot).

The GPD Win Max brings numerous improvements, changes, and upgrades compared to its predecessors, but we'll start with its design. Compared to the GPD Win 2, the Max looks much sleeker. Instead of large, flashy colored gamepad buttons with black lettering, GPD has flipped things around, with colored letters etched into black buttons.

There's also now a slight gap between the screen of the Max and the keyboard/gamepad area, which may help to make it feel less cramped and more modern. The screen bezels are also a bit more uniform, with the top, bottom, and sides all featuring roughly the same screen-to-edge spacing.

One major difference between the Max and the Win 2 is the keyboard itself: the former is considerably more spacious than the latter with its (mostly) evenly-spaced, chiclet-style keys. Ideally, this should make the device easier to use for actual work or chatting with friends.

So, on to the Win Max's actual functionality: how well can it handle modern games? According to GPD, pretty well -- the company's own benchmarks show the Win Max sustaining framerates of up to 75 in games like Rainbow Six Siege, a playable 36 in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and an impressive 51 in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Each game was run at its "default" graphics settings at a resolution of 1280x800p.

Obviously, we would never advise our readers to take manufacturer benchmarks at face value, but given both the settings GPD used for each game and the hardware packed inside the Max -- more on that in a moment -- none of these numbers seem too outlandish. They're certainly better than you might expect from a device this compact (it has an 8-inch IPS screen with touch support and 500 nits of brightness), but GPD also has the benefit of experience here, thanks to the success of previous Win devices.

Moving on to the Win Max's interior components, we can immediately see that GPD has packed an impressive amount of punch into their flagship gaming machine. It has a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, an i5-1035G7 processor, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and "Intel Iris Plus 940" graphics. The Win Max can sustain itself for up to three hours of heavy use with its 57Wh battery.

Moving on from internals, GPD included what it calls an actual "Xbox 360 Controller" in the Max for some added on-the-go versatility. Though that description might be challenged by some, it seems to be accurate, for the most part. Granted, the form factor is different than a normal controller, but the Win Max has two joysticks, a d-pad, the standard array of A, B, X, and Y buttons, as well as rear-facing shoulder buttons and Select, Start, and Xbox buttons.

As far as connectivity goes, GPD claims the Win Max supports Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 6, and HDMI 2.0b. It also houses two USB Type-A ports, one Thunderbolt 3 port, one USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, and one USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 port.

All in all, the Win Max sounds like a great little gaming machine that could either stand on its own or be used in tandem with a cloud gaming service like Stadia or GeForce now -- it is a full Windows 10 machine, after all. Unfortunately, we have no idea when the Win Max will arrive or how much it will cost, but we'll be reaching out to GPD for details.

Permalink to story.

Still waiting for gpd win 3.
I think max is too big and heavy for long handheld sessions. though still want it, gpd really is working too slowly... come on.

I've had the GPD Win and the GPD Win 2. They have a good track record of delivering, and the Ice Lake graphics should give it a healthy boost (you'll still likely need to knock down graphics settings a bit, but the lower resolution screen helps w frame rates).

Obviously the question is the less pocketable form factor - I assume Youtubers previews (e.g. ThePhawx) will help us decide on this before we reach the pre-order point.

Protip: This is almost certainly be launched via a crowdfund campaign. If you do sign up put in your order later in the run; inevitable there are revisions/teething troubles even in the course of the initial production. Worth waiting the extra few weeks and let someone else be the beta tester!

Its definitely great they are pushing forward each year or so with a new device, but this is getting out of control price-wise like mobile phones. It will stay a hard pass for me as their previous offerings did.

I have the GPD Pocket original and after some years the battery is dieing. Unfortunately they don't have any more new batteries for me to use.... therefore I have to deal with the laptop dieing.

However this laptop is amazing in a small form factor and actually has been invaluable over the last years. I am however disappointed with the newer "larger" models that are less pocketable as this is the laptops greatest asset.

Still trying to get a fix for my z8700. Keyboard died after a win 10 update 2yrs ago and in that time I have contacted HK GPD servicing and found only one servicing place in America. Both failed to fix it. & with that said..... I'll keep my ideas for next year... alienware ufo.

Back