GPU Availability and Pricing Update: July 2022

It's kind of interesting to see the 6800 sitting all by itself in that around $600 price range.

I would have picked up a 6800 (or 3070) when they launched if I could have gotten my hands on one. That $500-600 price range was my sweet spot when Nvidia and AMD dropped this current gen. Too bad bots and scalpers snapped them up so fast.

Too bad it took so long for these prices to get back to near MSRP prices. I found a 3080 that fit my budget after I saved a little more so I'm content now.

Definitely do NOT do what youtuber Jayz urges you to, I.e. be a mindless drone and pay these extortionate prices for a 2 year old GPU that's about to be superseded soon.

That's the worst most shameless anti-consumer and pro EVGA video I have ever seen. Shame on you, Jay.
I think you are too harsh. If someone has a solid gaming gpu already, y sure, wait. But if u are stuck on something like a 1050 ti, for how long should you wait for 4XXX series? When will they launch, at what prices and what kind of availability?
RTX 3080 (12 GB) will be a solid option if you need a GPU now unless we see 4XXX going +50% perf for the same price (which at this point is pure speculation)

I think you are too harsh. If someone has a solid gaming gpu already, y sure, wait. But if u are stuck on something like a 1050 ti, for how long should you wait for 4XXX series? When will they launch, at what prices and what kind of availability?
RTX 3080 (12 GB) will be a solid option if you need a GPU now unless we see 4XXX going +50% perf for the same price (which at this point is pure speculation)

How realistic is the scenario where someone who‘s stuck on a 1050 Ti or similar will upgrade to a 3080 ?

The best news out of this is there are loads of scalpers with a ton of cards they can't even get their money back on when selling on eBay.... Happy days.
It seems that Nvidia wants to compete with second hand market directly as well as prevent Intel from gaining significant market share this time around. Ampere yields are probably really good which gives them opportunity to milk it for 1 more quarter. Notice they are no mention of slowing down of Ampere production besides 12 gig 3080. If they want to dry up supply naturally you would slow down production of current gen and introduce next gen simultaneously but the opposite is happening, rumors of next gen delays with probably an October launch ( or q4 2022) of a 4090 with ultra premium price tag to test water and everything else in q1 2023.
Notice the mid to low end market still selling above msrp and has a lot of room to go down in terms of pricing. I predict we will see a $400 3070 by this black Friday.

How realistic is the scenario where someone who‘s stuck on a 1050 Ti or similar will upgrade to a 3080 ?
Plenty of folks went for 1050 ti or 1060 3gb because of the high prices for anything that could mine ETH.
And ofc there are those who went for a 5600g waiting for better pricing, or those who postponed their new system.
Plenty of folks with sth worse than an RTX 2060 that d be interested in upgrading.

I mentioned the 3080 because it can even do 4K but a 3060 ti is also fine with current prices for someone not interested for gaming above 1080p. And it will be probably be a while before new low-mid tier cards are released.
So, maybe not the best time to upgrade, but definitely not the worst either.

Don't forget that anyone using a 1050/1060 will also need a PSU upgrade for that 3080 as many of them may only have a 450/550w unit and that's not within the recomendations.
I got a 650W single rail PSU when I got the GTX260. Same PSU used for GTX560, GTX760 and 1060 6Gb. And now serving with pride a RTX2060. Changed myself some capacitors and some fans since I got this PSU.
In my country all GPu's are at least 100 USD more than this list. Skipping 3000 and for sure 4000, 'coz I'm sure the crazy prices will still last for a while here.
The 2060 suffered some mods because colling solution from Gigabyte it's one of the worst I'we seen. Never going to buy another GPU without first checking pictures of teardown.

"The reason Nvidia has dropped prices isn't so much that they want to do everyone a favor, but rather that consumers aren't buying GPUs at current prices"

Tsk tsk....poor nGridia, abandoned by their scalpers and hapless miners, now they have to rely on their REAL customers, who they didn't give a rat's orifice about for almost 3 years!!

I hope their pain gets worse and lasts very long.

I know now is not the time to buy, buy I really need a new powerful GPU :'(

I have a 2070 super, which is 'Great' in ALL games except Flight Simulator 2020, which is the game I play most, and I am getting very bad FPS that makes playing this simulator not fun at all...

Hope the new 4000 series from nvidia will be out soon after christmas with acceptable prices... knowing that you will have to buy a GPU and PSU !!!

As the Intel card trickle into the market we will some more downward pressure. One of the biggest issues we're facing IMO is the completely ridiculous MSRP's that were determined during a crisis. Every card in the market needs an MSRP adjustment to make the market more realistic. Additionally sales will continue to slide over the next year or two as America suffers through the poorest management of our country in history.

If I had enough money I would buy All used mining cards and value them by age, testing, wear and so on, sell them at prices based on their condition.

Picked up a used RX6600 in June well below $200. The same card new was going for $300 at the time so I got it almost half off. The takeaway is that there are super lowball bargains to be had if the buyer is ready to hit buy it now when they see one. I had already figured out I wanted the RX6600 and wanted it below $200 and had my form of payment ready to go before I even found the deal. Card works great as well. I got a huge deal, if I do say so myself.

The charts in the article are a few months out of date. Would be interested to see the updated versions.

The RX6600 isn't looking too bad at its new prices. Overall, I'm still planning to keep my RX480 when I rebuild my system next year, but if trends continue in this direction I could be persuaded otherwise.

I agree with BadThad that the current-gen MSRPs are inflated. Hopefully things will be back to normal in the next gen, just like they are in the country at large now that we got rid of the worst president in our country's history.

"Nvidia Wants You to Buy These GPUs..."

Not at current prices and not near at product End of Sales.
We are not miners with wallets ready for this or willing to loan from bank. And after 2 years of BS from both GPU vendors, AIB and shops all I can say is let them have it for themself. Or they can allways stick 'em where the sun doesn't shine.

The second hand market is full of Ampere and Touring cards now. And if you good with changhing thermal pads, fans and BIOS there are quite a few bargains out there.

Some cards I see come with original invoice and at least 1 year warranty papers.

No thanks, nVidia/AMD. I'm not buying yesterday's stock when you have new GPUs that you are about to release.

You both priced yourselves into this corner, and I don't see it as my responsibility, nor any customer's responsibility, to get either of you out of this corner.

Perhaps if you had set prices more reasonably in the first place, then scaplers, and yourselves, would not be in the "predicament" that you are in.

As I see it, both of you should take this as a sign that your customers are tired of being looked on as geese that lay golden eggs, and those eggs are for you to harvest and put in your banks.

Nope. Waiting for even more miners to start selling the stock. I'll get two (used) 3080s for what nVidia wants for one. 2070? That's a joke card. Can't ray trace with playable fps, and slower than 1080ti otherwise. And I guess the biggest success was the 2060. As soon as I saw their MSRP back then, I just went ahead and bought 1070Ti for way less money.

Back