GPU "no signal" on friends PC

Mister_K

Hi guys,

So I recently found some junk items that I didn't need and though about giving it to my friend. I fitted 400W Mercury PSU which works as well as added thermal paste and cleaned out his PC by getting the dust out and cables more optimized.

Now when I put the GPU you in and turn it on, the fan moves but I get no signal. Even after I installed latest drivers and disabled (also tried uninstalling) the onboard graphics. I took the 8600GT home and it works fine on my PC so it must be some setting on his PC.

He is using 7100 nForce630i onboard
Iv fitted 8600GT 512MB
His mobo is something Aspire 3XXXX.. or 5XXXX... from around 2004-2006
He is using Vista32

Any suggestions what I could do? I tried to look for some gpu options through his bios but didnt find anything.... Maybe some jumpers on the mobo that disable onboard?

What could be wrong, please help me :(

Did you try disabling the IGP via BIOS?

There was a option called iGPU, disabled it but didn't do anything. Under the option was also option which allowed for memory setting for the integrated gpu (32mb, 64 and 256 afaik)...

Will be going round his tomorrow and giving it a another shot, hopefully it will work...

Will do the following:

Fit in GPU
Boot up and Disable iGPU in Device Manager
Restart
Install Latest 280.xxx drivers for 8600GT
Restart
Go to BIOS and disable the iGPU through there
Disconnect GPU cable from onboard and connect it to 8600gt
Restart
Pray :3

That's what I did but it didnt seem to work, maybe i did something wrong =/

PS:

I had to flash his BIOS since there was a password he set long time ago and couldn't remember it. Maybe there is a BIOS password which would support the GPU (although I think there wouldnt be need to ....)

This is his BIOS screen (found image on google fyi)

img0643rz2.jpg

There is a cable for the onboard video?

Try looking through either advanced chipset setup or integrated peripherals to find the on board IGP. Then disable it.

Oh. Did you plug in the 6 pin x2 power cable to the card when you installed it on your friend's PC? I am assuming you did as it worked at home, just make sure you take in the cable. Another thing might be your friend's PSU. Could you tell us either the brand and model or take a picture of the wattages and amps and rails, etc....

I would set the memory to auto, if possible. Take a look at this thread.

There is no power cable for the 8600GT heh :p
The PSU I gave him is 400W Mercury PSU which is enough for the card (card needs 300W).

Oh you from Slovakia? Me too! But from Vranov although I live in the UK now for like 6 yeas :p

Seriously? That is so cool.

Oh the 8600GT doesn't need a connection. Oh well. Did you see the videos from the thread?

Yeh, watched the one that showed disabling the drivers etc...

Pretty much know how to connect everything together, changing mobo jumpers and stuff like that is lil harder since i havent done that before but its mostly like lego heh :p

Back