GPU Pricing Update: Was AMD Radeon RX 7000 Launch a Success?

People are slowly getting used to the idea $1000 cards are value options. I wouldn't say RX 7000 series are a success when RX 7700 and RX 7600 and Nvidia counterparts aren't even out.

I am just amazed that so many people have $1000+ to buy a graphics card. The crypto boom totally distorted what people are willing to pay.

I hate that I am still using a 1070 Ti. The RTX 2000 series was not a good deal because ray tracing jacked up prices for little useful improvement. Radeon cards had no value over a GTX 1000 series. So I waited. RTX 3000 and the Radeon 6000 were actually good products, but crypto caused the prices to go crazy. So I waited. Now we have a new round of options, but they are priced so high that I can't layout $1000+ just to play some video game. At this rate I may never get back into PC gaming.

It is just super frustrating that these companies can charge these high prices and still get enough buyers to make it worth it.

People are slowly getting used to the idea $1000 cards are value options. I wouldn't say RX 7000 series are a success when RX 7700 and RX 7600 and Nvidia counterparts aren't even out.
Just another great side effect of the recently demised mining era, people are getting used to get screwed. 1300-1500$ per card looks like a good deal now if you can get your hands on the latest tech. Next year, mid tier will be that much and you'll still love it, because it seems that, apparently, most buyers are deep pockets impulsive four years olds, drooling over their next favorite toy purchase.

Last edited:
I am just amazed that so many people have $1000+ to buy a graphics card. The crypto boom totally distorted what people are willing to pay.

I hate that I am still using a 1070 Ti. The RTX 2000 series was not a good deal because ray tracing jacked up prices for little useful improvement. Radeon cards had no value over a GTX 1000 series. So I waited. RTX 3000 and the Radeon 6000 were actually good products, but crypto caused the prices to go crazy. So I waited. Now we have a new round of options, but they are priced so high that I can't layout $1000+ just to play some video game. At this rate I may never get back into PC gaming.

It is just super frustrating that these companies can charge these high prices and still get enough buyers to make it worth it.
I don't hate that I'm still using a 1070ti. I enjoy every single game to the max setting my rig allows. I don't need to see the little pixel in the corner of a bush or have my frame count maxed to oblivion. Just like you, I waited and waited... but nothing worth upgrading came to the price I was willing to pay. Anything within my budget was "too much money for the performance increase", so I keep enjoying my beautiful 1070ti.

Just another great side effect of the recently demised mining era, people are getting used to get screwed. 1300-1500$ per card looks like a good deal now if you can get your hands on the latest tech. Next year, mid tier will be that much and you'll still love it, because it seems that, apparently, most buyers are deep pockets impulsive four years olds, drooling over their next favorite toy purchase.
That's 99% of consoomers. Look at the price of vehicles in the last 3 years, the price of houses, and the sheer amount of credit debt carried by consumers.
The high end is no stranger to high prices. 8800 ultra for $830 in 2007. GTX 590 was $1000 in 2010. 690 was $1000 in 2012. So on and so on.

Yeah not paying $1880 gougelandastani plunkettes (NZ Dollars) for what equates to a stock Radeon RX7900XT from Sapphire and if and when the Pulse and Nitro+ versions come to town here they'll be well over the $2K price tag and that's just ridiculous amounts of money for something that just isn't as good as it should have been

Either the graphics cards have become enormously expensive, or the inflation of dollars and euros is a lot bigger than governments dare to tell us.

If all you look at is the enthusiast level GPUs, it's pretty depressing, but the mid-range GPUs right now are really priced great and in many cases represent better values than just before the GPU crisis for those tiers. The 6600 XT and 6700 XT are prime examples of great value cards. I wouldn't touch one of these $1000 GPUs, they're just not worth it. Get a 6700 XT for < $400 and you are getting a GPU that is capable of high frame rates in both 1440 and 1080p, or if you want RT, get a 3070 which can be found for <$500 and surpasses the 2080 Ti from a generation ago. The problem with the current market is not the mid to high range GPUs it is the enthusiast level GPUs which are getting outrageous because the enthusiast can't help themselves. Patience, prudence, and a bit of humbleness and you can get some very powerful PC equipment for a good value. It is possible to build a $700-$800 system that beats the XSX right now, that's not bad at all considering there is so much more you can do with your PC. Just ignore the enthusiast level cards and you'll be a much more content gamer.

I don't hate that I'm still using a 1070ti. I enjoy every single game to the max setting my rig allows. I don't need to see the little pixel in the corner of a bush or have my frame count maxed to oblivion. Just like you, I waited and waited... but nothing worth upgrading came to the price I was willing to pay. Anything within my budget was "too much money for the performance increase", so I keep enjoying my beautiful 1070ti.
I don't "hate" my 1070 Ti. It has been a great card and has always punched well above its price point with a mild OC. I am "very disappointed" that I have not been able to upgrade in over 4 years. That is because I have an amazing 38" 3840x1600 monitor that just needs more GPU to properly utilize, and that newer games always seem less optimized and need more GPU to give you the same experience as previous games (Cyberpunk 2077). Looks like we are both going to need to wait some more. Maybe, just maybe, the new Radeon mid range cards (7800 or 7700) will be the ticket, when ever the come. I don't think Nvidia is going to be an option.

If all you look at is the enthusiast level GPUs, it's pretty depressing, but the mid-range GPUs right now are really priced great and in many cases represent better values than just before the GPU crisis for those tiers. The 6600 XT and 6700 XT are prime examples of great value cards. I wouldn't touch one of these $1000 GPUs, they're just not worth it. Get a 6700 XT for < $400 and you are getting a GPU that is capable of high frame rates in both 1440 and 1080p, or if you want RT, get a 3070 which can be found for <$500 and surpasses the 2080 Ti from a generation ago. The problem with the current market is not the mid to high range GPUs it is the enthusiast level GPUs which are getting outrageous because the enthusiast can't help themselves. Patience, prudence, and a bit of humbleness and you can get some very powerful PC equipment for a good value. It is possible to build a $700-$800 system that beats the XSX right now, that's not bad at all considering there is so much more you can do with your PC. Just ignore the enthusiast level cards and you'll be a much more content gamer.
GPU makers did it smart. They released only most expensive cards when people are ready to spend some cash on things they like, on Christmas.
It is smart but not very nice.

Tim,

It's a good article. No way I'm spending that kind of hard-earned money on a GPU. Rather get a new Keiser M3i indoor bike. Something that is actually beneficial.

I don't expect to be able to afford a new GPU this coming year. I would never buy a GPU like the ones that just came out from AMD and Nvidia, but I'm expecting the mid range to be out of my price range this time. And I would rather stay with my old one than buy a low end GPU even if it is better.

I think AMD over-promised and under delivered on these 7000's though. The power consumption is not that good and they were saying it would be like 50% more efficient and less expensive because of chiplets. If it is better on power consumption and price then I'm not seeing it.

It's clear what the strategy has become and why. Both Nvidia and AMD realize that volume sales no longer have the same utility for generating tremendous profits and instead will seek to gouge the willing with ever increasing prices.

Either the graphics cards have become enormously expensive, or the inflation of dollars and euros is a lot bigger than governments dare to tell us.
In reality inflation and high prices are just a trick, corporations have much higher margins than ever. They all work together, competition is not a real thing anymore.

I think both companies are worried that they have huge inventory of last gen cards and they have to sell them first, thus they priced their latest very high. Once the old inventory clears out we may see some discounts and better priced mid level cards. May be wishful thinking...

Probably worth waiting - seems either drivers and/or maybe v2( memory sorted ) can get some of that performance promised - ie poor showing in some games , or resolutions - next year when discounted - with likelihood of 10%-20% performance gain plus some AA games - will be a good buy.

some good youtube analysis out there.

anyway will only improve vs 4080

Thanks for the interesting write up ! ... I'm noticing all the 'quantifications' are without any numbers ?

From the article:
didn't supply near the amount / surprisingly large amount / huge numbers of sales / more typical in its supply / respectable numbers / easily outsold / with plentiful availability / decent demand / substantially out-supplied

Would it be possible to add some numbers to it, just to get an idea ?
Even anonymously and just as a general overview (of all stores/sources combined) they could offer some interesting insight.

For example, a table showing:

RTX4090: units received | units sold
RTX4080: units received | units sold
7900XTX: units received | units sold
7900XT: units received | units sold

I understand how you feel. I rode my 1060 out until it died, spent a month not playing any games and then decided it's a hobby that gives me joy so I wound up buying a 6600 for $300 at the end of May. Prices really started dropping after that and it's unfortunate, I would have gotten a 6700 for that now, oh well. I wouldn't recommend an AMD GPU though, I've got it working well enough now but it was a lot of headaches with drivers, especially for DX9 titles. Eventually I had to settle on dxvk_async and using an old driver, and only was able to update to a newer stable driver a few weeks ago. AMD fans deny any and all driver issues, trying to shout down issues, but the official forums and reddit is littered with complaints about drivers.

I'll probably end up grabbing a 4070 or 4060ti, for anywhere around $600-700 just to go back to Nvidia, and I'll likely sit on that for another 6 years or so. Might be the last GPU I ever buy honestly. 6600 will go into a secondary 1080p build, as it is more suited for, very likely on Linux.

Back