Grab a free copy of Unreal Gold in celebration of the game's 20th anniversary

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Unreal, the legendary first-person shooter from Epic Games that spawned a successful franchise under the same banner, turned 20 years old today. My, how time flies!

Unreal launched on May 22, 1998, courtesy of developers Digital Extremes, Legend Entertainment and Epic (then known as Epic MegaGames) along with publisher GT Interactive. It was powered by Epic’s own Unreal Engine, now in its fourth iteration.

To celebrate the occasion, Epic is offering Unreal Gold Edition absolutely free for a limited time (the next 46 hours or so) over on Steam and GOG.com (it’s originally priced at $9.99). If you haven’t yet had the opportunity to try out this gem or want to revisit it again, now’s your chance. And don’t worry – so long as your PC has any semblance of a heartbeat, it’ll be able to run Unreal as the minimum specs only call for a 1GHz processor and 256MB of RAM.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Historically, one of the greatest FPS's released that set the bar WAY high for other developers to try and match. At the time, it really pushed the envelope in graphics and game play.

Coincidentally, I dusted off my old copy about 3 months ago and played it again. It's still a very engaging game that's held its age well.

Anyone who doesn't have it in the library should snap up this free copy, for sure.

This game was the reason why I first got into PC gaming back in July 1998. First played it on a 6MB Voodoo 1 card, Pentium II 333Mhz & 64Mb Ram!

...then in mid-late 1999, I upgraded to 128Mb Ram and an Orchid Righteous Voodoo II SLI setup and played through it again, at a mind blowing 1024x768, 60fps!

This game was the reason why I first got into PC gaming...
Nearly the same for me, Although I was 8 years old when this came out, I got into PC Gaming because of Unreal Tournament 2004, Even today it's still fantastic.

Love the original still though, it's great to see others still playing it!

Ah brings back great memories... I was ranked in the top 500 in ngWorldStats for Capture the Flag back in '99.. Raked in over 3 millions kills... I miss those 18 hour game-a-thon sessions. Why did I have to get a job. :/

OMG Free sigh them were the days Loved the Dark Map best Dark Mark ever even by today's standard even tried the gamma to no avail lol wish they did a reboot and included new dark maps I'd by it in a second ..

Back