GRAID announces latest 110GBps PCIe 4.0 SSD

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: While gamers have been impressed by the improvements a mainstream 2.5GB/s or 5GB/s NVMe SSD can bring to a PC or game console, RAID SSDs are on a whole different level. GRAID claims its latest model continues to push the bleeding edge in PCIe 4.0 speeds.

This week, GRAID announced the SupremeRAID SR-1010 RAID data center storage card, upgrading to PCIe 4.0 mere months after its PCIe 3.0 predecessor. Like the SR-1000 which launched last October, the new model has a blistering max sequential read speed of 110GB/s, but has doubled its max write speed from 11GB/s to 22GB/s.

Those speeds are for Linux users, however. While both SR cards are slower on Windows, the performance they do achieve on Microsoft's OS is still amazing, and the SR-1010 makes big gains there in its read speed. Where the SR-1000 topped out at 65 GB/s on Windows, its successor reaches 74GB/s. By comparison, Other World Computing's OWC Accelsior 8MW, released last November, has a max speed of 26GB/s.

The performance of GRAID's SSDs comes in large part from their unique hardware design. If the picture above looks like a GPU, that's because it is. The SR-1010 is based on Nvidia's RTX A2000 workstation graphics card. In addition to granting GRAID's SSDs more muscle, using GPU technology to power storage lets them process the I/O themselves, bypassing the CPU.

The SR-1010 supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10. It's compatible with Windows Server 2019 and 2022 as well as several Linux distros. GRAID's authorized resellers and OEMs plan to start offering it on May 1.

Permalink to story.

I've been using a handful of 2TB Crucial MX 500 and a Samsung 8TB EVO without any issues whatsoever.

I look forward to the day of high speed, high reliability drives, but I need a 10TB capacity before I'm willing to shell out big bucks again.

Between this insane speeds and AMD getting equally insane with the level of L3 cache they're going to include with their CPUs specially Epyc ones, I wonder if certain tasks can now be optimized to, when possible, work only with L3 cache and SSD access bypassing ram altogether.

While its more modern version of Gen4 variety all issues with "hardware" RAID still stand.

Wendell said nothing ground breaking for me, but at least he said it very loudly. This device is garbage unless you want to run JBOD, RAID0 and 1. For redundancy RAID is dead for a long time, like a decade. Nobody sane should run it especially on NVMe drives.

I've been using a handful of 2TB Crucial MX 500 and a Samsung 8TB EVO without any issues whatsoever.

I look forward to the day of high speed, high reliability drives, but I need a 10TB capacity before I'm willing to shell out big bucks again.
I want that too. My hunger for fast speeds so far clashes into the price wall. We need better prices.

This, mainly because of price, sounds like it will be only of any interest to business/data center customers. I built my wife a Ryzen 7 3800 on an X570 motherboard with a 1TB Sabrent pci-e 4.0 NVME drive last year. It cold boots Windohs 10 in 4-seconds (and we have shut off that setting "hybernate Windohs when shutting down" setting so it is a true cold-boot). IMO, if anyone thinks that is not fast enough, perhaps they need to be treated for hyperactivity disorder. ;) :laughing:

Am I the only person that sees the problem with putting hard drives on PCIe slots during a time period where everyone is trending towards 1) huge-*** video cards that occupy 2-3 slots 2) smaller motherboards and form factors that maybe only have one PCIe slot to begin with? And no, risers aren't a solution; we only just got rid of big-*** ATA ribbon cables and going back to that is not progress, especially considering the propensity of poorly-made risers to spontaneously combust.

Can we just figure out the next version of SATA, please?

Come on guys. Think.
This is a x16 PCIEx 4.0 card - maximum throughput of the slot is 31.5GB/s. How exactly can they reach 110GB/s?

Back