Grand Theft Auto 6 not expected to arrive until 2025

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: It's the question that has been on gamers' lips for years: when are we going to see the next Grand Theft Auto game? The answer, it seems, is "not for a very long time." New reports and leaks suggest GTA 6 is still in early development and not set for release until around 2025.

Battlefield and Call of Duty leaker Tom Henderson posted a video late last month that collected several GTA 6 rumors and predictions, including its release in 2024 or 2025. While that would usually be passed off as one person's opinion, it was backed up by Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier, who tweeted that "Everything Tom Henderson has said about the game matches up with what I've heard."

The former Kotaku reporter added that the game is still in early development and will feature "an evolving/expanding map." The latter part is a reference to Henderson's claim that GTA 6 will have a map that could change every time new DLC is released, similar to Fortnite's map updates. This could mean, among other things, the GTA 6 world changing based on the season.

Henderson also says the next Grand Theft Auto game will feature Vice City in some capacity—a rumor we've heard for years—though it will have a modern setting. It could also offer multiple playable characters that include a female hacker.

So, why is GTA 6 so far away when the last game originally released in 2013? There are several reason; the main one is that GTA Online continues to make a small fortune for Rockstar/Take-Two Interactive—it's primarily why there's never been any GTA V campaign DLC. Moreover, the company is trying to improve its crunch-heavy reputation, for which it received plenty of criticism during Red Dead Redemption 2's development. It also has the multiplayer element of its cowboy title to focus on, and the ongoing pandemic has delayed pretty much everything. Schreier notes that he made his previous GTA 6 release date predictions in pre-Covid-19 times.

These are all rumors and speculation, of course, but there's no doubt GTA 6 is coming. It'll just be a long time before it arrives.

Permalink to story.

Modern games are such big projects, and enormous games are fantastically huge projects. Long gone are the days where one person could create a fun game in a few months.

The detail Rockstar apply to their open world games is genuinely staggering. Just strolling around Saint Denis in RDR2 quickly makes you appreciate the layered detail and systems on top of systems at work here. The demands to live up to that and take it to another level each time must be daunting.

Cyberpunk 2077 showed how difficult this is to do, even with a big team, big budget and years. You can still feel the paper thin facade in the world compared to even GTA4.

I honestly think that the estimate is still dependent on whenever GTA Online actually stops making money for them or not. They haven't gone into full maintenance mode yet, but they are pretty damn close to it with very spaced out, sub par DLC update released with little content: pretty sure that at this point it takes like almost a year and a half for a major content patch that's maybe 1/3rd of the total content updates you used to get every 6 months in the past with additional smaller ones in between.

But sadly, the free-to-pay model works well for them: they've given the game away multiple times and run numerous sales often and that seems to be enough to upset the number of well, upset players that leave because there's literally nothing to do but wait for years for something new to do while defending from hackers and people using exploits to get cheap kills and such.

But every time they get new people to play, they get new people to pay them "microtransactions" for in-game currency so it just keeps chugging along making tons of bank for them in this "We barely care at all" mode of continued support they're entering.

Modern games are such big projects, and enormous games are fantastically huge projects. Long gone are the days where one person could create a fun game in a few months.

The detail Rockstar apply to their open world games is genuinely staggering. Just strolling around Saint Denis in RDR2 quickly makes you appreciate the layered detail and systems on top of systems at work here. The demands to live up to that and take it to another level each time must be daunting.

Cyberpunk 2077 showed how difficult this is to do, even with a big team, big budget and years. You can still feel the paper thin facade in the world compared to even GTA4.

The problem with Cyberpunk was that they spent everything on marketing rather than development.

I honestly think that the estimate is still dependent on whenever GTA Online actually stops making money for them or not. They haven't gone into full maintenance mode yet, but they are pretty damn close to it with very spaced out, sub par DLC update released with little content: pretty sure that at this point it takes like almost a year and a half for a major content patch that's maybe 1/3rd of the total content updates you used to get every 6 months in the past with additional smaller ones in between.

But sadly, the free-to-pay model works well for them: they've given the game away multiple times and run numerous sales often and that seems to be enough to upset the number of well, upset players that leave because there's literally nothing to do but wait for years for something new to do while defending from hackers and people using exploits to get cheap kills and such.

But every time they get new people to play, they get new people to pay them "microtransactions" for in-game currency so it just keeps chugging along making tons of bank for them in this "We barely care at all" mode of continued support they're entering.

Too many *****s out there. Literally get a modded menu and unlock everything you want. Whoever pays for ridiculous prices for Shark cards is an absolute fool.

Too many *****s out there. Literally get a modded menu and unlock everything you want. Whoever pays for ridiculous prices for Shark cards is an absolute fool.
I don't disagree, but GTA is popular enough that a mere numbers game works: they're still reaching or even passing 100k players on Steam alone. For console it's at least 3x or 4x that per console.

So conservative you've got half a million people playing. If you consider the people to be either veeeeery foolish or veeeery rich not to care about being scammed and just using shark cards say, 1% that it's still like half a million dollars on shark cards per month more or less if you consider how much money can you sink into the game with shark cards, probably lots more on average.

I think actual numbers we know put peak at like 500 million per year on shark cards, so it's more likely around 10 million dollars per month still during 2021 more or less.

1) Windows 11 only
2) RTX capable hardware only
3) 99.99 for the basic edition
4) 350-400gb dl size
5) multi tiered drm
6) Chip shortage much worse
Yes, Rockstar sucks by a vast margin. I have had many problems with their games.

There is a video on YT of someone making a playable Diablo 3 clone in 1 week -admittedly he run out of time to put in sound effects - but it was reasonable looking game and playable

Don't hurry, I have time, just started playing gta v last week

I knew about it since forever but was not into it until recently

Personally I prefer the smaller games. I like GTA but generally I get a bit bored of vast 3D games that look almost photo realistic but are actually quite boring to play. I guess it's because companies invest so much producing these games that they daren't risk new innovations that might hurt the bottom line. Of course it might also be just my age. I used to love the older arcade games where each new game seemed so different to the last and it didn't break the bank to play them.

Back