Graphic Card Assistance

rashidaliamjad

Hi,
Guys u can check my system specs in the attached dxdiag screenshot. Currently I have NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460, but I installed it like 2-3 yrs ago, and now when I play games like arkham city, the game crashes like after every 5-10 min. when I play Assassins Creed Revelations Multiplayer, I get lag not due to internet, but system performance. Could you please suggest me some good graphic card. I have never used ATi cards, so have no experience in them so I prefer nVidia. My budget is 100 GBP. but I can stretch to 125 GBP. at max. Please respond soon. I want to buy and install a new graphic card before arkham origins is released I.e. 25th October :D . Other games I would like to play are Assassins Creed Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Castlevania 2, Thief etc.
dxdiag.png

For that price, you'd be looking at something like a 650 Ti Boost or a HD 7850. If you can find a good deal, you might be able to get a 660 (The best I could find on Amazon is 132 GBP).

Thanx man, but I checked again, my budget has increased to 150 GBP. can u take look again and please suggest some other alternates as well. I want a card with which I can play the games I mentioned above with best performance, if not maximum. please give me suggestion asap. Thanx

We have to take a step back here. The issue is not your GPU, but instead the OS. You are using a 32bit OS and a core i3. I recommend adding RAM so that you have 8GB and installing a 64bit OS. If that doesnt solve your issues (it should), then you should get a new GPU. Once you install the new RAM and 64bit OS, the only issue you may have is not being able to run at highest settings.

We have to take a step back here. The issue is not your GPU, but instead the OS. You are using a 32bit OS and a core i3. I recommend adding RAM so that you have 8GB and installing a 64bit OS. If that doesnt solve your issues (it should), then you should get a new GPU. Once you install the new RAM and 64bit OS, the only issue you may have is not being able to run at highest settings.
ok, well I can try that first but when I installed 64-bit previously, I felt the system was a bit slow, but I had 4 gb ram so that might be causing it. I can upgrade and see if the problem gets resolved. should I just buy 4 gb ram and put in or would you recommend some specific one. I mean if I'm buying, I should make sure I invest in something thats value for money. please suggest something good but in a reasonable price as I still might need to change graphic card later, if this doesnt work out.
Cheers :)

Guys, sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone also check, if my board supports 4GB (1 RAM) or do I have to put 2 separate 2GB each (2 RAMS). I know I have two extra slots but plz let me know.

I corrected my post above BTW. It is now 2x4GB of RAM vs the 2x4GB before. You want 2 sticks, not 4.

It's a nice mid-range card so it should be able to handle most games on mid-high settings for a couple of years of years, excluding any super demanding ones.

Good card. Your PSU can handle it also. Make sure you get all the same DIMMS of RAM. It would be good if you get another identical 2x2GB kit or just get one 4GBx2 kit and replace your old DIMMS.

Guys currently I have adata (2x2GB) 1333Mhz, 240 pins. I cant find similar one 4GB stick or two 2GB sticks. if anyone of u can find it please let me know (I want UK only not from US or EU etc). or suggest me some other brand which can easily fit with the current ones I have. thanx

Guys currently I have adata (2x2GB) 1333Mhz, 240 pins. I cant find similar one 4GB stick or two 2GB sticks. if anyone of u can find it please let me know (I want UK only not from US or EU etc). or suggest me some other brand which can easily fit with the current ones I have. thanx

Use this tool to find out what RAM you need. It scans your system and recommends the best RAM. I recommend just getting a new 4GBx2 kit.

Also, do you have the Windows 7 install disc? Because getting more RAM will do nothing unless you install the 64bit version of Windows.

This is what I recommend you do:
1) Download a copy of Windows 7 64bit and burn it to a DVD. You can download the 64 bit image from here. You can use the 32bit product key you currently have.
2) Purchase the new RAM (4GB x 2) and the new GPU (GTX 660).
3) Install the new components.
4) Boot up the PC.
5) Make sure the PC runs good and maybe try gaming on it. If the PC and games run good, then the RAM and GPU are in good condition.
6) Reboot and clean install Windows.
7) Install the necessary drivers (chipset, GPU, and maybe BIOS).

Guys another problem. I got this ram: cmx8gx3m2a1333c9 (2x4GB). my system detects it. but when the "starting Windowds" screen appears, the system automatically restarts. the settings are same in the bios as they are mentioned on the ram I.e. 9-9-9-24 1.5V.

Am I missing something here ? plz reply soon.

Hmm. The RAM may be defected. Pop in the old sticks and tell me if this still occurs. If it doesnt occur and works fine with the old RAM, the new RAM is either incompatible or defective. Use the corsair system scanner I sent you.

From search on the net so far, what I have been able to figure out is that my board supports 2x256kb L2 cache memory, and the ram needs 2x512kb. can any techy please help me here, coz I dont understand the hardwares specs that well. I think I might need to change board in order to make this RAM work, I mean obviously I can change the ram but the board it old and I was thinking to change it anyway. please let me know your thought on this L2 cache thingy.

Hmm. The RAM may be defected. Pop in the old sticks and tell me if this still occurs. If it doesnt occur and works fine with the old RAM, the new RAM is either incompatible or defective. Use the corsair system scanner I sent you.

the system detects the ram in bios, but when the screen goes to starting windows, the system restarts. the old ones work fine like before.

From search on the net so far, what I have been able to figure out is that my board supports 2x256kb L2 cache memory, and the ram needs 2x512kb. can any techy please help me here, coz I dont understand the hardwares specs that well. I think I might need to change board in order to make this RAM work, I mean obviously I can change the ram but the board it old and I was thinking to change it anyway. please let me know your thought on this L2 cache thingy.

That cache has nothing to do with the RAM. It is built into the CPU. You dont have to worry about that.

the system detects the ram in bios, but when the screen goes to starting windows, the system restarts. the old ones work fine like before.

The RAM is defective. It may show up in the BIOS, but it may not be able to work in a real world scenario where it has to store data.

That cache has nothing to do with the RAM. It is built into the CPU. You dont have to worry about that.

The RAM is defective. It may show up in the BIOS, but it may not be able to work in a real world scenario where it has to store data.

so I guess ill return this item and buy another. let's hope I can get something good. this time.

Back