GT 240 512 DDR3 or HD 4670 1GB?

Nithin Nair

guys help me out,....which one should i buy?

512mb "DDR3" GT 240
or
1gb HD4670?

also should i change my power supply for any of these cards?
mine is a 450w power supply..

What is your current setup? CPU, motherboard, ram, ect.
I would go for the GT 240. The 4670 is a bit dated despite being a good card.

I would say even if you don't get one of those videocards you should still upgrade your powersupply. You don't cheap out on a PSU. If it dies it can take your whole computer with it.

2.2ghz core 2 duo,2gb ram,intel d945gcnl motherboard

what PSU should i get?
does 512 mb and 1gb make much difference?
also,is there a "big difference" in performance between these two cards?

I would recommend the GT240 over the 4670. It performs better in games.

I don't think you'd notice much of a difference between 1GB and 512MB since you wouldn't be running high resolutions with your current hardware.

You PSU should be fine for a GT240. I installed one in a Dell with a 300W PSU and it worked great.

its PCi express 2.0,whats the difference ?will this be compatible in my board?

what motherboard do you have? PIC-e 2.0 is compatible with normal PCI-e 16x. Lets just make sure you have any PCI-e before you buy a card.

The requirements for a GT240 are 18A on the +12v and 300W. He should be fine.

opps, I missed that. Also, are you really confident in his powersupply? I have a hard time trusting low wattage power supplies.

My 300w Dell (Lite-on) PSU handled a HD4670 for nearly a year without issues. Even a cheap PSU of newish age and condition should handle both of these cards.

My 300w Dell (Lite-on) PSU handled a HD4670 for nearly a year without issues. Even a cheap PSU of newish age and condition should handle both of these cards.

I had a bad experience with a 450w suntec PSU on an older machine that took out my xfx n6600. I also picked up a cheap 800watt when i first put together an AM2 setup. as soon as I powered on that system the 800w blew out tons of magic blue smoke. Luckily nothing died aside from a powersupply.

I am going to trust your opinion on it, I've just had some bad experiences with it. Although, when it comes to my money I will spend the extra penny for that extra touch of safety.

I'm not saying you should use a cheap PSU - I'm saying if you must, it will most likely be OK.

I now run the same setup using a Corsair HX-750 PSU. In the long run your better off with a good quality PSU, but if like me, you didn't have the money to upgrade both the GPU and PSU at the same time, you could always run it from your current one for now.

For the record, my Dell PSU never died, I replaced it simply because I was considering CF HD6870's as future upgrades, and because with the CPU overclocked, the voltage to the CPU had a bit too much fluctuation for my liking. It was fine when it wasn't running any overclock though. I've actually kept it as a spare for testing or emergency use.

Back