GTX 660 OC 3GB overheating with CoD 4 MW1

Agent44790

Hi there
I’ve been everywhere on the internet and no one could’ve helped me. My Gtx 660oc 3gb is overheating really bad I think. I can play games like need for speed payback and it playes fine but when I play a game like cod 4 mw 1 it throws small blocks all over my screen and then I have to close the game and I know it is not the game because I played the exact game with my Gt 240 and it did nothing it played perfectly but my 660 can not play the game. Can somebody please help me with my problem I don’t know what to do anymore.

My computer specs is as following:
MSI b350 pc mate
Amd Ryzen 3 1200
Crusial ballistix 8 GB DDR4 2400mhz
Antec 650W psu
Seagate barracuda 2tb hdd
Gigabyte GeForce Gtx 660 oc 3 GB GDDR5

Sometimes a video card needs maintenance - like blowing away dust and renewing thermal paste. If you see temps which are 'high' ((check forums for values for your card), check YouTube for instruction. Look at several to get all the cautionary thoughts.

Sometimes a video card needs maintenance - like blowing away dust and renewing thermal paste. If you see temps which are 'high' ((check forums for values for your card), check YouTube for instruction. Look at several to get all the cautionary thoughts.
I replaced the thermal pads and my pc is dust free my temps just goes up to 60 degrees and then it starts to throw small blocks all over my screen. I even checked that my clock settings is on the default settings everything is normal but it just keeps on crashing my game it now started to do it with Far Cry Primal as well

My gpu doesn’t really have other symptoms the fans doesn’t even go above 2200rpms. I went and check at what degrees it does it and on Far Cry Primal it was at 46C when it made the blocks over the screen. When the blocks appeared I tried to cool the gpu down and nothing it stays on 46C nothing was helping. I called one of my friends and he says he thinks my gpu is busy dying. Do you think my gpu is dying?

It still might be insufficient cooling for the VRAM. Perhaps someone knows if MSI Afterburner would report on that. Also, you can use MSI utility to 'underclock' which might give you unblocky graphics for a bit longer.

GPU failure? All mine have been 'catastrophic'. Possible hangover from a previous driver. Use DDU to clean it out totally and download and install fresh.

Darn. Full card maintenance performed, GPU temp <60C, fans <2300rpm, fresh & clean drivers, unable to underclock....unless someone has more insight, I think it must be dying.
Sorry to say it . I hope prices come down fast for you.

Darn. Full card maintenance performed, GPU temp <60C, fans <2300rpm, fresh & clean drivers, unable to underclock....unless someone has more insight, I think it must be dying.
Sorry to say it . I hope prices come down fast for you.
I took the gpu in today to get a extra opinion on it and they said the card look in perfect condition. But on my way home I started to check it out real close and I saw the heatsink has a small crack on it and the heat pipe that goes through the heatsink has a small little hole in it. Do you think that it could be the problem?

Really unusual. Might be an issue, especially if this is dedicated to cooling VRAM. Did they test your card on another system set up to 'stress' it?

Really unusual. Might be an issue, especially if this is dedicated to cooling VRAM. Did they test your card on another system set up to 'stress' it?
No they said I have to try a new heatsink and if a new heatsink doesn’t solve my problem I should bring it back and then they would set it up in another pc and then they would test it and then see what it does. Do you think it is worth the money to buy a new heatsink and then test if it solve my problem

Back