GTX 770 equivilent?

childofthetao

Hi, I'd like to know when a more powerful card will out that will be the same price as a GTX 770 is right now.

I'd like to spend that amount of money, but I'm not fully satisfied with the card's performance at 1440p.

I'm sure their are allot of people paying $1000 because they feel the same way as you do. You must be contemplating making an upgrade decision. Out of curiosity, what are you running now?

The 700 series is relatively new, so I wouldn't expect a refresh for at least another year or so. I hear AMD is up for releasing their 9000 series by years end, but I don't know the details.

Well the GTX 770 only came out a couple of months ago so on the Nvidia side you'll have to wait at least a year for the next generation or hope the GTX 780/Titan drops in price (which might be a long wait).

AMD's HD 8000 series are just rebrands and the 9000 series are also about a year away.

Hmm looking around you might be right, I thought AMD's 9000 series was supposed to be competing with Maxwell.

Yeah I've just been looking around to, they definitely have a launch date set in October for the 9000 series. Thats the word around the Internet anyway. I thought I remembered it mentioned in a thread or two here on TS.

I'm currently running at 1080 with a HD7850, it runs very well, but I'd like to upgrade to 1440p but I'd only like to do that if I can run at 60fps maxed out :)

I wasn't going to upgrade for at least a few months, so I guess my only option is to wait and see how the AMD 9000 series turns out right?

Well the GTX 770 only came out a couple of months ago so on the Nvidia side you'll have to wait at least a year for the next generation or hope the GTX 780/Titan drops in price (which might be a long wait).

AMD's HD 8000 series are just rebrands and the 9000 series are also about a year away.

They are unveiling the 9000 series on Sept 25. It will be here by years end.

I'm currently running at 1080 with a HD7850, it runs very well, but I'd like to upgrade to 1440p but I'd only like to do that if I can run at 60fps maxed out :)

I wasn't going to upgrade for at least a few months, so I guess my only option is to wait and see how the AMD 9000 series turns out right?

SLIing 2 GTX 660s or 2 GTX 660Tis will get you good performance at 2560x1440, but you have to make sure your PSU and motherboard can support 2 GPUs.

This is the video for you

Linus tech tips talking about the 780 and 1440p performance in general on top end cards. Honestly at that area, it seems the 7970 got third place right behind the 780 and titan. The 770 is essentially an overclocked 680 which was below the 7970 in more tests and you can overclock a 7970 pretty easily.

A 770 right now is at the cheapest 399 on newegg right now but will not be much of a step up from a GTX 680 in that performance area. I would either wait for the 9000 series from AMD so prices become more competitive and you can see a range of options, or grab 2 7970's or a 7990 (The powercolor non-devil 13 one for 590 on newegg right now). But no matter what, to do well at that resolution, your going to need some serious hardware.

I would get a 7990 for $700 rather than the $650 GTX 780. The 13.8 driver should fix any woes when it goes WHQL.

Oh that's fine then for gaming, I was actually mostly speaking on the terms of the GPU :p. But that overall combo will be enough to do that resolution.

Like JC713 said, the 7990 can do it very well and its actually cheaper than the GTX 780 and it will out perform it and you will get 8 games with it!.

GTX 770 is pretty much an HD7970 (non GHz).

Buy two of those for <$350ea, or the 7990 as suggested. (Dat game pack, yo)

The Z77 platform offers more features, but H77 is fine if you have a non-K series CPU.

The 7990 comes in one flavor. There are some versions of the 7990 that arent official like the ASUS ROG one and the power color one. The 7990 is mainly a reference and those ASUS and PC cards I am talking about were created before the official 7990 came out.

Back