Hacker demonstrates how to remotely unlock a car in minutes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

hacker hack black hat 2014 key fob

It's Black Hat security conference week in Las Vegas and as always, there's plenty of hacks to go around. The latest to come down the pipeline is a nifty technique that could be used by anyone to spoof the signal from a vehicle's wireless key fob.

Silvo Cesare, An Australian researcher from security firm Qualys, claims his key fob hack uses a code breaking attack that takes just a few minutes to perform. Best yet, it doesn't leave any physical trace which could make tracking down bad guys even tougher for law enforcement.

Up to this point, Cesare has only tested the hack on his own vehicle, a 10-year-old model that he refused to name (but can be seen in the clip above). He tells Wired that his method is straightforward enough that a variant of it would likely work on other cars too. That's because many automakers tend to use commercially available key fob technology that is probably used across many different makes and models.

Cesare built his proof-of-concept tool using off-the-shelf components that set him back roughly $1,000. But as the price of electronics continues to fall, it'll no doubt be cheaper - and perhaps more viable - for thieves to build their own unlocking devices in the near future.

He is working with the Australian chapter of the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) to try and alert manufacturers of the issue.

Permalink to story.

Anybody still want driverless cars?

Yes. Shielded electronics are a viable option. Drones are driverless airplanes and those haven't been hijacked to our knowledge other than forcing a landing.

As I read in the past most military drones of usa are hacked and full with malware. including the ones with the big fat and ugly missiles. considering these cars are driven with software you'll have to trust the bugfixing of whatever company develops it. Considering that Nasa crashed satelites because of messing up metric system with imperial one...

Anybody still want driverless cars?

Yes. Shielded electronics are a viable option. Drones are driverless airplanes and those haven't been hijacked to our knowledge other than forcing a landing.

As I read in the past most military drones of usa are hacked and full with malware. including the ones with the big fat and ugly missiles. considering these cars are driven with software you'll have to trust the bugfixing of whatever company develops it. Considering that Nasa crashed satelites because of messing up metric system with imperial one...

Sources? I read that some hardware possibly contained malware embedded in the firmware on some parts from some Chinese companies, but that those parts have since been replaced because it was illegal for the companies that build the drones to use Chinese parts in the first place.

Also, yes, someone forgot to do a conversion. It happened once. Over a decade ago. Can we move on?

Back on-topic though. Yes, I still want driver-less cars. I would feel way more secure knowing a robot is in control of other people's cars given the emotion that humans drive with. Robots will come to a full stop at a stop light/sign 100% of the time. Humans seem about 25% full stop, 70% rolling stop, and 5% just run it. Also, I could be productive on a commute instead of driving.

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't they still be susceptible to malware attacks?

Back on-topic though. Yes, I still want driver-less cars. I would feel way more secure knowing a robot is in control of other people's cars given the emotion that humans drive with. Robots will come to a full stop at a stop light/sign 100% of the time. Humans seem about 25% full stop, 70% rolling stop, and 5% just run it. Also, I could be productive on a commute instead of driving.

When was the last time a robot actually fully replaced a human? Aren't humans the ones building the robots anyway? And haven't robots and other machines known to fail? Robots are not perfect either.

As for being productive, how many times have you been productive while riding as a passenger in a car (not a bus, train, or plane, just a car)? Also, shouldn't you still pay attention in the event your robots fails or doesn't make the right decision?

This is why it's just easier to leave your doors unlocked and not store tempting valuables in there to steal. Just because he was able to unlock the car doesn't mean he can drive it. Defeating the electronic ignition is a whole other matter. This is a $1000 solution of something I can do with a brick: get into somebody's car.

This is why it's just easier to leave your doors unlocked and not store tempting valuables in there to steal. Just because he was able to unlock the car doesn't mean he can drive it. Defeating the electronic ignition is a whole other matter. This is a $1000 solution of something I can do with a brick: get into somebody's car.

Yep. Just leave that bad boy unlocked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVO5OVaCkA

This is a $1,000 solution that results in easier, much less conspicuous access to more than $10,000+ in parts (depending on make/model). I'll keep my doors locked, thank you.

Except for the newer vehicles that use the same keyfob to allow you to wirelessly start your car. Take for instance the 2008+ Lancer Evolution, with keyless ignition. It only requires you to have the key inside the car. Surely he's only a step or two away from achieving ignition, and even better (or worse, rather) if this can be done without a trace.

Back