Hackers are now using leaked Snowden data to re-create NSA spy gadgets

Justin Kahn

hackers snowden nsa edward snowden michael ossmann great scott gadgets retro reflectors hackrf sdr

While much of the attention regarding leaked NSA documents has been centered around actual Agency espionage and data collection operations, there has also been a wealth of information made available regarding the kinds of tools and software they use. With that knowledge in the public, many of the NSA's tricks can now be defended against and are starting to be reverse engineered.

As part of the now infamous cache of NSA documents leaked by Edward Snowden, there is a classified Advanced Network Technology manual that outlines, details and lists various gadgets agents can use to spy on computers and cellphones. The catalogue consists of things like dummy base stations to track cell data and calls as well as radio-based USB thumb drives to covertly beam the contents of a system elsewhere. Among other things, the catalogue also listed "retro reflectors," a technology those outside the NSA and its partners knew very little about previously. Small implantable devices designed to track keystrokes, on-screen images and even ambient sounds, retro reflectors are now out in the open and being developed by Michael Ossmann and his team from Great Scott Gadgets.

hackers snowden nsa edward snowden michael ossmann great scott gadgets retro reflectors hackrf sdr

Retro reflectors consist of two parts, a tiny transistor planted within a system and a software-defined radio (SDR) based receiver system. Ossman, who specializes in SDR has built a software-defined radio dubbed HackRF that played an instrumental role in him recreating the NSA reflectors. There were reports previously of the NSA using similar tech to track computers and devices offline using radio-based transmitter systems.

Ossman plans to educate others about NSA tactics in order to better protect against privacy intrusion and plans to present his work in August at the Defcon hacker convention in Las Vegas. Reports say there will be a number of other hackers/researchers presenting data on NSA gadgets and technologies as well.

Masthead image via Shutterstock.

Permalink to story.

Wonderful. Now just anyone can plant advanced "bugs" in my stuff. Who do I trust more - random people/corporations or the government... hmmm.

Wonderful. Now just anyone can plant advanced "bugs" in my stuff. Who do I trust more - random people/corporations or the government... hmmm.

I'd rank them in the order of who has the most to lose by losing you trust. For me, only a business cares about your trust because they want you to feel safe... either shopping online at their website, or using a credit card in their store. If you don't, you'll shop somewhere else.
The govt a) doesn't care, and b) doesn't have the resources if they did. healthcare.gov is supposedly so insecure that no senator will go near it. But what do they care...What are you going to do? Go to the other DMV? Go to the other courthouse for your documents? Go to the other VA hospital if the one near you has a 3 month waiting list?

As for a random person; I guess you have to use your judgement.

I'd rank them in the order of who has the most to lose by losing you trust. For me, only a business cares about your trust because they want you to feel safe... either shopping online at their website, or using a credit card in their store. If you don't, you'll shop somewhere else.
The govt a) doesn't care, and b) doesn't have the resources if they did. healthcare.gov is supposedly so insecure that no senator will go near it. But what do they care...What are you going to do? Go to the other DMV? Go to the other courthouse for your documents? Go to the other VA hospital if the one near you has a 3 month waiting list?

As for a random person; I guess you have to use your judgement.

I'd agree with you, but the point of these bugs is that you don't know they exist (which is why it seems that we only found out after leaks (even if people suspected it before then)). So... how can I know to distrust something/someone that I don't even know is (potentially) causing me harm?

Also, I doubt corporations would bother with this. They only care about what I'm doing for marketing reasons to make more money, which our phones/browsers are giving them plenty of data on. I'm more worried about the person that installs these types of chips into keyboards/PCs at the factory level and then uses it to steal my identity (I.e., http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/22/tenda_router_backdoor/) - something the government could do without bugs.

Edward Snowden's morals are about as useful as cancer.

In case the privacy noobs don't get it yet, people have FAR more to fear from data collection by Google etc etc, not the NSA whose job it is to protect your country.

For farks sake stop trying to bite the hand that protects you.

And someone PLEASE put a bullet in Snowden soon. I'm sick of this treacherous b4stard being painted as a hero - he is just a worm who craved infamy. Maybe he will change his name to Nancy and he can be just like Chelsea Manning, the other creep who eroded decades worth of governmental work.

Anyone who likes anarchy so much should go to eastern Iraq. See how you like that.

And you believe that why? Is it because they smile for you in front of the camera? Okey dokey then, moving on to someone that can think for thierself.

Cliff, I look forward to a moment in time when you need your government for something. Statistically, that should take about 3 minutes.

I hope you never need the police, they have databases to help solve crimes and catch bad people in case you hadn't realised. That data is strengthened by agencies collecting and sharing data. It's not Google who are going to send a defender to you. Stop being so naive.

The problem with all these devices is that it falls into the wrong hands, not to say the people doing it are not corrupt. We were transporting money to the bank which we discussed in the privacy of our own home, and someone was driving very weirdly trying to block our path and I think hold us up. They must have seen 2 people in the car and were holding up traffic, so they got scared and sped away. This same type of behavior occurred in the 70s when a manager drove me home from mcdonalds. They confronted us and got scared, but later when the manager was alone they stopped him and got him to open the safe, stealing money.

What's equally troubling is that Snowden is in the hands of the Russians. A mother lode of intelligence on the U.S. government right in the heart of the Kremlin. Snowden has already disclosed huge amounts of information, one can only imagine what the Russians can do with him.

It's all about the money... corporations only care about the money, same with politicians with their lobbyists they're all the same.

Feeling is mutual!
Your the one that thinks Big Brother has all your best interest at heart, and you think I am being naive!

Unfortunately, Government agencies are bound to serve you if you call on them. Yet you are free to disrespect and be *****ic about their role in the lives of billions of people. Grow up. If you prefer anarchy, then as I said, go move to a country where governments neither have the ability or will to protect you

go move to a country where governments neither have the ability or will to protect you
Another naive statement thinking the US has both the ability and will, this mentality is what keeps is in a state of war. But yet I'm the one that needs to grow up! Right! How old are you again? You sure don't seem to have any wisdom about you.

Another naive statement thinking the US has both the ability and will, this mentality is what keeps is in a state of war. But yet I'm the one that needs to grow up! Right! How old are you again? You sure don't seem to have any wisdom about you.
Why would that be Cliff, because you don't agree with him?

Back