Hackers leak "manipulated" Covid-19 vaccine data to undermine public trust

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: There's already a lot of disinformation regarding the Covid-19 vaccines, and hackers are trying to increase the distrust by leaking hacked information about the BioNTech-Pfizer and Moderna jabs that has been manipulated.

Last month, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) revealed it experienced a hack in which documents and emails relating to the regulatory submissions for the Covid-19 vaccines, stored on an EMA server, had been illegally accessed.

In its latest update on the investigation, the EMA writes that some of the hacked documents have leaked online, though not in their original form.

"Some of the correspondence has been manipulated by the perpetrators prior to publication in a way which could undermine trust in vaccines," the agency notes

While the EMA hasn't revealed what information was altered, it wrote: "We have seen that some of the correspondence has been published not in its integrity [...] and, or with, comments or additions by the perpetrators."

It's still unknown who was behind the EMA hack or what they would have to gain by spreading disinformation about the Covid-19 vaccines. According to Dutch broadcaster NOS, the hacked pages were posted on a Russian forum, and a "foreign intelligence service" was behind the incident.

Last month, with the vaccines rolling out across the world, the IBM Security X-Force team found that a spear-phishing campaign was taking place targeting organizations in the Covid-19 cold chain—the process in which coronavirus vaccines are safely transported and stored in temperature-controlled environments.

Image credits: ungvar (masthead) / Rido (center)

Permalink to story.

Lol, Russia, still trying to be the world's comic book super-villain, as the only way to remain relevant on the World stage.

Once you verify the "who" you'll understand the "why". You will also be able to better target the individuals, groups, and backers of them, then a newer CIA should be turned loose to rein havoc on them. No holds barred, just bring them to their knee's. Russia has purportedly found a way to turn off their internet to all inbound traffic. This is something that needs to be developed and enhanced by the USA as well as put into place as a part of regular operations and lastly, any site, social media outlet, etc. that refuses to participate should be closed down.

Yes, these are very harsh measures but in seeing the results of NOT having them implemented, there is little choice if we want to maintain a democracy and stop all this social strife that is being used against us to turn neighbor against neighbor and race against race. As a whole, we have not been educated to the point that we can clearly see when we are being manipulated and until that day arrives we need to do any and everything to protect ourselves.

This does not mean we need to end or even limit free speech in any way, just keep those outside at bay so they cannot interfere or try to corrupt out voices.

I'm assuming they released the real numbers then/information or are we supposed to just take their word for it? I know foreign countries do this all the time but 99.9% of the time they hack and don't even need to edit because the government is always hiding the truth and just releasing it proves how messed up it is.

Uh huh. So it’s been “edited” but we’re not going to tell you what’s been changed. Just trust us, the omnipotent government entity that got hacked and got its secrets leaked.

And people wonder why no one trusts the government when it comes to coronavirus.....

This gets resolved by improving the trust within the government. People just don’t trust their governments on this, their explanations of covid numbers never add up and governments have frequently been caught out lying or twisting truths to cause panic. In the U.K. the published meeting notes shows how SAGE - the scientific body advising the government on methods of causing panic to the population in order to get them to follow the rules harder. This isn’t a conspiracy. We had a report published by the U.K. government back in March stating that the best case scenario is 250,000 deaths with lockdowns. Well we are 2 months away from it being 12 months since that report was released and we are about 165,000 deaths short of our best case scenario. This sort of thing causes people to turn to alternative sources of information.

I’m not against the vaccine, I will take one if I’m offered it. But we can’t have government agencies using misinformation and twisted/exaggerated facts to raise panic on one hand then complaining about misinformation on the other.

This gets resolved by improving the trust within the government. People just don’t trust their governments on this, their explanations of covid numbers never add up and governments have frequently been caught out lying or twisting truths to cause panic. In the U.K. the published meeting notes shows how SAGE - the scientific body advising the government on methods of causing panic to the population in order to get them to follow the rules harder. This isn’t a conspiracy. We had a report published by the U.K. government back in March stating that the best case scenario is 250,000 deaths with lockdowns. Well we are 2 months away from it being 12 months since that report was released and we are about 165,000 deaths short of our best case scenario. This sort of thing causes people to turn to alternative sources of information.

I’m not against the vaccine, I will take one if I’m offered it. But we can’t have government agencies using misinformation and twisted/exaggerated facts to raise panic on one hand then complaining about misinformation on the other.
Remember: The government doesnt care about you. They care about remaining in power. If they have to terrorize you to do that, that is what they will do. They are not your friends, and they will not make your life easier. Why would they be honest with people when instead they can lie, cheat, steal, and brand anyone who calls them out as "phobics, ists, isms, ece" and use those tags to pursecute them?

You saw it before with McCarthy, and now you see it with AOC in the US. Label, use that label to discriminate, use that label to protect your abuse of power. I'd say this is a timely example to people on why big government isnt so great, and why stronger checks and balances against the ruling class are needed, but then I remember that 99% of the world will hapilly throw their freedoms away to ensure the "others" get it worse.

Why don't these losers ever do anything worthy. Why not hack and shutdown corrupt politicians or corrupt businesses and help the poor. Where are the "Robinhood" of hackers?

I bet nothing was manipulated at all. Just Big Pharma wanted to show its trillion dollar business scheme in good light.
Also, I just love seeing all these anti Russia comments here. As if USA is angelical or something.

I bet nothing was manipulated at all. Just Big Pharma wanted to show its trillion dollar business scheme in good light.
Also, I just love seeing all these anti Russia comments here. As if USA is angelical or something.
Or as if any of them genuinely hated Russia until network TV told them to.

Back