Hackers repeatedly penetrated Nasdaq's computer network

Emil

Staff

Hackers repeatedly made their way into the computer network that runs the Nasdaq Stock Market during the past year. The part of the system that executes trades was not breached but other parts of Nasdaq's infrastructure were accessed, though it's still unclear which ones. The Secret Service and Federal Bureau of Investigation are looking into the matter, though they haven't found any malicious activity yet, according to The Wall Street Journal:

"So far, [the perpetrators] appear to have just been looking around," said one person involved in the Nasdaq matter. Another person familiar with the case said the incidents were, for a computer network, the equivalent of someone sneaking into a house and walking around but—apparently, so far—not taking or tampering with anything.

Unsurprisingly, Nasdaq has not commented on the report. Investigators are worried that they still have not been able to figure out the hackers' motives nor are they confident that they've been able to plug all potential security holes. Furthermore, not only are the hackers identities still unknown, but officers still have not been able to figure out what country the hacks were initiated from. Some evidence points towards Russia, but the person or people responsible could be simply using computers in that country as a conduit.

Permalink to story.

Ethical hacking maybe?

Or something much worse... Doesn't the Secret Service deal with the presidents security though?

They can't have done any major damage or it would have been all over the news wouldn't it?

Well if it's Americans doing it, at least they were smart enough not to actually do anything. Might have been a couple kids doing it just to see if they could. Or it could be part of something bigger planned by another country.

I can see it now...Bin Laden sitting in his cave surrounded by servers...snickering, lol.

@Leeky
The SS also deals with financial crimes, usually with counterfeiting and fraud.

@Guest
Thanks for that. :) I thought the FBI did that, learn something new every day. :D

@Guest
Thanks for that. :) I thought the FBI did that, learn something new every day. :D
Judging by the news, it seems that all branches of governmental law enforcement do all things, then blame the other branches for not sharing information, when something goes sideways.

Is it me, or is there something vaguely lascivious bout this title;

"Hackers repeatedly penetrated Nasdaq's computer network"....?

You gotta admit, there's a powerful irony to hacking the tech sectors stock servers.

captaincranky said:

LOL! That cracked me up.

Captaincranky said:

Personally i think it's impossible to use the word "penetrated" without some "auto-innuendo" alarm going off somewhere.

Or maybe that's not what you're talkin' about, i dunno...:D

...so it was hackers..

Hackers rarely destroy anything ... just want to see if they can, and see what they find.

Ethical hacking maybe?
Or something much worse... Doesn't the Secret Service deal with the presidents security though?
Yes, the Secret Service fields the US president's bodyguards. (Or protective service, if you will. But, that looked a tad redundant on paper).
Personally i think it's impossible to use the word "penetrated" without some "auto-innuendo" alarm going off somewhere.

Or maybe that's not what you're talkin' about, i dunno...:D
Well, of course that's what I'm talking about. Spring is fast approaching, when even a old man's fancy turns to penetrating everything in sight. That's why each Spring, you see old blind men hanging out in front of fish markets.

"Well, of course that's what I'm talking about. Spring is fast approaching, when even a old man's fancy turns to penetrating everything in sight. That's why each Spring, you see old blind men hanging out in front of fish markets. "

Is that groucho marx? that sounds like groucho marx....

"YEAH!! Destroy everyone's retirement savings and personal investments!!! "

They don't need hackers to do that...they've managed to do that pretty well without them so far.

Back