Hackers target government website in protest, release user accounts

Rick

Staff

government, bart, hackingOn Sunday, hackers launched an attack against Bay Area Rapid Transit's (BART) website. The hacktivist group, "Anonymous",  took control of mybart.org for approximately six hours, defacing their website and publishing the real names, emails, phone numbers, account names and passwords of 2,400 users. Interestingly, bart.gov itself was left untouched, however a few other municipal websites such as californiaavoid.org were not so lucky. 

Sunday's "Operation: BART" cyber attack was prompted by BART's controversial decision to black-out cellular service along their transit lines, an act intended to prevent an anticipated protest from materializing last Thursday. The protest itself was a response against a recent BART police shooting. The public transit organization did not jam the towers but actually had them disabled, technically remaining compliant with FCC regulations, however the move left Anonymous members outraged, comparing the scenario to recent Midd

government, anonymous, hack

Anonymous also critized the organization's security. Hackers found user account information unencrypted, stored as unhashed plain text with little between the database and the web.

Since the original protest plans were foiled due to the cellular black-out, the group is helping to organize a new one. Anonymous is appealing to the public, including individuals who had their accounts publicly revealed, to join them on Monday around 5:00pm at the Civic Center station in San Francisco.

They kindly note to "bring your mask" to the event. Somewhat ominously, Anonymous also tweeted, "Have a feeling that at tomorrows protest the police radios may get the #BART treatment: #Jammed #rfjam #JS #OpBART". 

As if that were not enough, Anonymous has also asked the public to participate in what is billed as a "Black fax and E-Mail Bomb". Supporters are to fax and email BART employees until they "explode their inboxes". The hacktivist group has also conveniently provided the email addresses of every staff member, including the janitor.

Permalink to story.

The janitor ? They got to be kidding, what does a poor janitor has to do with all this?

Publishing user data again?

They are really going out of their way to get themselves declared a terrorist organization.

gwailo247 said:
Publishing user data again?

They are really going out of their way to get themselves declared a terrorist organization.

No kidding... If they are against the govt and 'oppression', then they need to do what every other rebellious group has done to garner support... They need to create the Us-vs.-Them mentality. Like a politician calling us Hardworking Americans and standing up against them, the Big Corporations.

These guys fire a shot at the establishment and are using the little guy as the cannon ball. Who or what do they claim to be serving except their own egos?

See, this is why I just can't respect Anon. They do good until they publish an innocent person's information. That's the point where I stop applauding and start rolling my eyes. And seriously...the janitor? Dude's just trying to make a living. If Anon would grow up, i'd respect them and their efforts.

See, this is why I just can't respect Anon. They do good until they publish an innocent person's information. That's the point where I stop applauding and start rolling my eyes. And seriously...the janitor? Dude's just trying to make a living. If Anon would grow up, i'd respect them and their efforts.

I have to agree with this. :)

Deface the sites, make life hell, but don't drag innocent people into the matter, or at the very least just publish the names, without any other identifiable information.

people know that posting their own info on the internet is risky, so if it gets compromised they should know if they didnt put in on there it wouldnt have gotten stolen. not to mention people from anonymous were thrown in jail for just reading the governments secrets and leaving their mark behind, they never posted anything. so now they retaliate, which they should cause the us gov't is looking more dictatorship ish everyday. the government is just crying, just like sony was cause nothing that was hacked was ever distributed. and yes, i hope facebook is next, **** like facebook turns the world into an antisocial bunch of wimps who cant handle life because of issues on facebook

Leeky said:

I have to agree with this. :)

Deface the sites, make life hell, but don't drag innocent people into the matter, or at the very least just publish the names, without any other identifiable information.

imo, Anon looks just like the government
except that they don't have a janitor

the government has a million+ faces
Anon has just 1

where is the difference?

can you stand alone vs Anon? - no
can you stand alone vs government? - no
(and this can be expanded even better then the hell)

you can't choose side, you are relaying on the government. Right?

/Lots Of Love

Someone needs to anonymously take out anonymous. What good do they do for anyone. They hinder more than help and absolutely solve no problems they so called protest against. All they do is find reasons to hack to satisfy there self righteous glorified geekdom while dragging innocent people into picture. For what all in the name of what?

ampfeare said:
people know that posting their own info on the internet is risky, so if it gets compromised they should know if they didnt put in on there it wouldnt have gotten stolen.

Like your information that your bank, phone company, cable company, power utility and favorite e-tailers store on their servers? Is that the information that you're referring to?

not to mention people from anonymous were thrown in jail for just reading the governments secrets and leaving their mark behind, they never posted anything.

Are you referring to them reading the information that the gov't openly posts on their web sites, or are you referring to the information that they read after they illegally hacked into various gov't web sites? I'm confused which information they're getting in trouble for reading.

so now they retaliate, which they should cause the us gov't is looking more dictatorship ish everyday. the government is just crying, just like sony was cause nothing that was hacked was ever distributed. and yes, i hope facebook is next, **** like facebook turns the world into an antisocial bunch of wimps who cant handle life because of issues on facebook

I like how you think. Please post your address online, so that I can come into your house, and read the stuff on your personal computer. Mind you, I won't post it, I'll just read it...while in your living room. And while I'm at it, I'll just go into the cell phones of every member of your family, and then post all the phone numbers that are contained within. Sound fun yet?

WHAT!!!! these hackers are doing us (AMERICANS) a HUGE favor by letting us see these evil companies do bad, terrible, IN-humane things.... they are spilling secrets and attacking the evil companies that wish to ENSLAVE humanity..

GO HACKERS! LOL

Guest WHAT!!!! these hackers are doing us (AMERICANS) a HUGE favor by letting us see these evil companies do bad, terrible, IN-humane things.... they are spilling secrets and attacking the evil companies that wish to ENSLAVE humanity..

GO HACKERS! LOL.

Ok are you being sarcastic or are you just dilusional?

Guest WHAT!!!! these hackers are doing us (AMERICANS) a HUGE favor by letting us see these evil companies do bad, terrible, IN-humane things.... they are spilling secrets and attacking the evil companies that wish to ENSLAVE humanity..

GO HACKERS! LOL.

Ok are you being sarcastic or are you just dilusional?

Seriously First Guest, Second Guest posts a pertinent inquiry. Are you actually claiming that the JANITOR (for example) is an evil company? What did he ever do to anyone besides use too much Pine Sol in the latrine?

Well maybe BART should more securely store their information. Because if something is attainable by a person why should they not be allowed to get it. Being hacked is just a sign you should have a better way to protect the JANITOR'S information.

ampfeare said:
people know that posting their own info on the internet is risky, so if it gets compromised they should know if they didnt put in on there it wouldnt have gotten stolen. not to mention people from anonymous were thrown in jail for just reading the governments secrets and leaving their mark behind, they never posted anything. so now they retaliate, which they should cause the us gov't is looking more dictatorship ish everyday. the government is just crying, just like sony was cause nothing that was hacked was ever distributed. and yes, i hope facebook is next, **** like facebook turns the world into an antisocial bunch of wimps who cant handle life because of issues on facebook
Last time I checked Facebook doesn't turn people into anything except marketing data.

We had anti-social people before Facebook.
We had anti-social people before the internet.
We had anti-social people before electricity.
We had anti-social people before America even existed.

You sound like the guy who hates Facebook because you don't actually have any friends. Or maybe it's because you have something against people who do use it, so you won't allow yourself to become "one of them". Facebook just shows what society always has been. I know plenty of highly successful and social people that use Facebook, while not allowing it to take over their life, but rather compliment their life.

To end, using a service doesn't determine your social status/ability. The same way that owning iPhone or Droid isn't the deciding factor of your intelligence.

The same way that owning iPhone or Droid isn't the deciding factor of your intelligence.

I agree that owning any of these actually means anything with regard to level of intelligence of a person. But some people think otherwise, they probably believe that somehow these gadgets are more important than many other things in life.

It seems that Anonymous simply isn't really aware of the direction they wish to go in. They act like a bunch of self-righteous teenagers. They know everything and know what’s best for everyone else and attempt to justify actions that hurt a great many people, all in the name of their cause.
They say they are against big government and big business. If that’s the case then start a small business helping people, don’t waste your energy attacking the everyday working man. The net effect of your actions is that you have caused fear for some. When people are afraid they take flight or fight. The Government will fight and more freedoms will be reduced because of your childish actions.

It's funny that people are getting upset at anons... If they hacked a website and just said they did people wouldn't think much of it. But if you show how easily they are to hack lets say release peoples logins for a website (I don't see any harm that can come from this since anyone smart being targeted would suspend the logins...) people start crying. Its not like they are hacking your bank accounts and stealing your money but a website which probably wont have any of your financial information in. I like the saying, "Nothing will change until something bad happens."

I'm just watching from the sidelines wondering what the end result is gonna be and when it will end lol...

I agree with most posts on here I for one do not support anon. For the people that do.......

What do they have to hack to make you a non supporter?

How about they release all your private bank details and private info to the world ?

Where do you draw the line? I draw the line at them attacking the common people, such as myself, and MY information. sure go attack companies and governments where it is justified and in the right way, but leave the common people out of it.

Besides how do you know they havnt hacked a bank somewhere in the world to steal. Does anyone that steal admit to it?

People get upset over people like this because its the fear that people like this unchecked are going to wipe there bank accounts out and identity steal.

Its all common sense folks use it before you lose it.

RH00D said:
ampfeare said:
Last time I checked Facebook doesn't turn people into anything except marketing data.

We had anti-social people before Facebook.
We had anti-social people before the internet.
We had anti-social people before electricity.
We had anti-social people before America even existed.

You sound like the guy who hates Facebook because you don't actually have any friends. Or maybe it's because you have something against people who do use it, so you won't allow yourself to become "one of them". Facebook just shows what society always has been. I know plenty of highly successful and social people that use Facebook, while not allowing it to take over their life, but rather compliment their life.

To end, using a service doesn't determine your social status/ability. The same way that owning iPhone or Droid isn't the deciding factor of your intelligence.

i dont hate facebook because i dont have any friends on it, ive made an account and befriended anyone and everyone in my area without problem and used facebook like it was intended. my point is i literallly see people in real life evryday on their damn cell phones simply crying or gossiping complete bs about something that happened on facebook, and I along with many others are just sick of hearing about it. if ur saying facebook society is showing what society has always been then ur wrong im sorry. if u payed attention to life before and after facebook/myspace was created ud notice theirs a big difference. less people are going outside, people are getting fatter and crying more about stuff that is quite frankly, piddly. people need to get a grip on reality instead of relying on garbage like facebook

ill just watch the destruction from the sideline. I dont wont to piss them off, they would wreck face on my stuff :/ haha

Back