hal.dll - weve all seen this error before

Status
Not open for further replies.

benicillin

ok im getting the very typical hal.dll error upon startup. im sure weve all seen this one before..

ive gone through all the legitimate steps to fix the problem (fixboot, bootcfg / rebuild, checking the boot.ini file for errors)

ive also tried to reinstall windows on that partition in a separate folder, as well as trying to reinstall on that partition over the current (non-booting) copy - using the windows disk and booting into setup.

oddly enough, regardless of where i install windows, i still get the hal.dll error after the setup reboots and tries to enter the bulk of the setup. this doesn't make a lick of sense to me, esp since i tried installing in a separate directory.

now - i have a separate partition that has a working copy of windows on it (thank god i installed two) and i can boot into this partition. all the files on both partitions are accessable - i ran chkdsk on both partitions.

anyone have any ideas beyond the usual stuff ive mentioned above i would appreciate it. that is all the info i can find anywhere online about this problem.

A few things, your hardware abstruction layer (hal.dll) error may be solved with a quick read through

HERE

Also: what drive are you using in slave?

no slave

thanks for the link, ill check it out as soon as i write this...

im not using a slave - i have one giant 180gig drive that is partitioned into a 5gb partition(1) and partition(2) is the remaining disk space (175gb). currently only the windows installation on the 5gb partition is working, while the larger partition's windows is shot. the small partition is fat32 and the larger is ntfs. originally i planned on just running windows from the small partition and then storing data and other crap on the larger one, but the partition filled up quick and my my music and documents folders are default on that small partition, therefore i have no room to put stuff in those folders. im aware i can move them using tweakui but i decided to just keep it simple and run the OS off the large partition. anyway, thats not the point. point is. no slave drive. one big drive, two partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back