Half-Life: Alyx's 'No VR' mod gets an impressive new progress update

Polycount

Staff
In context: Half-Life 3 (or Half-Life: Episode 3; whichever you prefer) is probably not coming out anytime soon, but we got the next best thing last year in the form of Half-Life: Alyx -- Valve's first franchise entry in over a decade. Sadly, as a VR-only title, it proved inaccessible to many of the series' console and PC fans. Fortunately, that might change down the line, if the game's modding community has any say in the matter.

In case you aren't in the loop, Half-Life: Alyx modders have been looking for ways to remove or reduce the game's VR dependencies since its March 23 release. These mods seek to "flatten" the experience in some way and make the game fully playable on traditional input devices, such as a controller or keyboard and mouse.

Modders are approaching this task from different angles. Some have simply lifted control systems from earlier games and tossed them into Alyx, whereas others -- like SoMNst -- are more focused on altering what's already there.

In a new progress update video, the SoMNst shows off a brief section of the game (involving a derelict subway system) running with his "No VR" mod -- and it's looking pretty darn impressive so far. It has a proper, anchored first-person viewmodel (making it look like a traditional FPS), new animations for everything from reloading to aiming down the sights, and even "camera viewpunch" when the player fires or gets struck by an enemy.

We also see SoMNst activate Alyx's gravity gloves a couple of times to snag distant objects, though there's not a proper animation for that action just yet. The modder says other features, such as Alyx's crafting station, are "working" but still need a few adjustments before they're comfortable showing it on-screen.

SoMNst's No VR mod isn't available for download yet, but hopefully, it won't be much longer before a playable build hits the web. When it does, we'll certainly let you know.

Permalink to story.

Well, I'm probably not the only one that called It: Modders will make It 2D.
And also: modders (or pirates) will make money (or fame) off of Valve's unability to make HL3.

You forgot the big one (Well maybe you didn't but I did call it): VR like 3D in the past, was destined to be just another fad with no mass adoption or interest, to the point that people are now actively removing the VR from VR-only game to be able to play them. Sadly most are so poor there's no interest in going through those efforts anyway.

You forgot the big one (Well maybe you didn't but I did call it): VR like 3D in the past, was destined to be just another fad with no mass adoption or interest, to the point that people are now actively removing the VR from VR-only game to be able to play them. Sadly most are so poor there's no interest in going through those efforts anyway.
People are also actively adding VR to things that doesn't support it. So, is 2D dead? 😊
VR is definitely not dead, the sales numbers of the Oculus Quest 2 is pretty good evidence of that. It's just entering the stage where it's getting real. Proper wireless, 120Hz to the masses and such.

People are also actively adding VR to things that doesn't support it. So, is 2D dead? 😊
VR is definitely not dead, the sales numbers of the Oculus Quest 2 is pretty good evidence of that. It's just entering the stage where it's getting real. Proper wireless, 120Hz to the masses and such.

I very clearly said mass adoption: there's a couple of people that just won't let go of a headache inducing, impractical and quite frankly, stupid headset but the way people like Facebook and Valve invested they were betting on VR being the next Wii: a runaway success you hear about on the news, something so popular even your grand parents ask you about it, not just a mostly forgotten curiosity companies are too proud to admit was kind of an expensive and pointless investment.

I'd be interested in seeing how this goes. VR can be pretty neat, but the additional cost can be limiting for some people, and frankly, I find that it's more physically exhausting than normal PC gaming.

I very clearly said mass adoption: there's a couple of people that just won't let go of a headache inducing, impractical and quite frankly, stupid headset but the way people like Facebook and Valve invested they were betting on VR being the next Wii: a runaway success you hear about on the news, something so popular even your grand parents ask you about it, not just a mostly forgotten curiosity companies are too proud to admit was kind of an expensive and pointless investment.
Those couple of people is a business worth well over 20 billion dollars this year. You can try as hard as you like with your FUD, coming from an ecosystem that clearly has no VR. It won't change reality.

That thing will damage my eyes. I tried one time and got such a headache. Besides, the headset is just stupid in itself. And the idea of making movements in the air for long like a zombie is just hilarious.

Those couple of people is a business worth well over 20 billion dollars this year. You can try as hard as you like with your FUD, coming from an ecosystem that clearly has no VR. It won't change reality.
Show me evidence of those 20 billion industry. It is just a bluff like 3D TV's in the past, or Google+, etc. They will insist anyway for some time till they will finally give up. It is about time.

Show me evidence of those 20 billion industry. It is just a bluff like 3D TV's in the past, or Google+, etc. They will insist anyway for some time till they will finally give up. It is about time.
How about you show me evidence that there are only a couple people into VR. I'm one, so, there can only be one more.

I very clearly said mass adoption: there's a couple of people that just won't let go of a headache inducing, impractical and quite frankly, stupid headset...

I own and really enjoy an HP Reverb G2 and Alyx is one of the best gaming experiences ever, largely due to it's VR implementation. So, in the immortal words of The Dude, that's just like, your opinion man.

I've been lucky enough to have a go on the HTC Vive a few times and VR really is impressive. The only reason I haven't jumped on the VR bandwagon is cost and space limitations.

Mass adoption has begun. You are just not properly informed and are just too proud to accept that people are now buying VR devices. Critical mass has been reached.

Last edited:

"The latest virtual reality statistics show that the global market size of AR and VR is forecast to hit $18.8 billion in 2020 (Statista, 2019). This is more than three times the $6.1 billion market size registered as recently as 2016.

The forecast for 2020 is also a whopping 79 percent year-over-year increase, which goes to show just how popular the technology has grown to become in recent years. "

"The latest virtual reality statistics show that 52.1 million people in the US will use the technology at least once per month in 2020 (eMarketer, 2020).

This marks a 20.9 percent increase from 2019’s 43.1 million. More and more US residents are also expected to start using VR more frequently.

This number is expected to increase to 57.4 million in 2021 and further to 60.8 million in 2022. "

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/virtual-reality-statistics

It was the second google result for "vr adoption rate"
You're welcome.

/has played around with his brothers Vive
//It's cool

I was quite amazed at how many animations you do yourself when playing VR without realizing it.
Watching especially his previous video there is allot of stuff that must be animated that just come naturally from being a VR game.

That thing will damage my eyes. I tried one time and got such a headache. Besides, the headset is just stupid in itself. And the idea of making movements in the air for long like a zombie is just hilarious.

Getting a headache from a VR headset doesn't mean VR is terrible for dead for everyone else. Some people are very sensitive and settings can be changed to make it more comfortable for people.

As far as looking silly while using a VR headset you think no one looks silly when they are playing enthusiastically? Clearly you didn't like the experience, but your experience isn't the same as everyone else's.

Back