Halo 3 touches down on PC on July 14

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Halo was arguably the defining / flagship franchise for Microsoft's Xbox. The first game in the series, Halo: Combat Evolved, was an Xbox launch title and helped Microsoft sell 1.5 million consoles in less than two months. Without it, Microsoft's entry into home consoles might not have been nearly as successful as it was.

Halo 3 is heading to the PC as the next installment in Halo: The Master Chief Collection and will be available to play from July 14.

Halo 3 originally launched on the Xbox 360 in September 2007 as the final game in the main Halo trilogy, following the original Halo: Combat Evolved in 2001 and Halo 2 in 2004. Notably, the third installment included a map-editing tool called the Forge that let players add or remove objects like weapons, vehicles and crates to multiplayer maps as well as the ability to record gameplay footage and save it locally.

The third installment in the Halo franchise will be available on Xbox Game Pass for PC (beta) as well as through the Microsoft Store and on Steam. A quick check on Steam shows Halo: The Master Chief Collection retailing for $31.99, a 20 percent discount over the usual $39.99 rate.

In related news, developer 343 Industries is expected to share more information about its next entry in the franchise – Halo Infinite – during the upcoming Xbox Games Showcase on July 23. Most expect the game to arrive as an Xbox Series X launch title this holiday season.

Permalink to story.

I've really enjoyed the Master Chief Collection so far and I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

I haven’t been happy with a Halo game since the first.

They ruined it after that.

Wanna expand on this obviously uncommon opinion? Genuinely curious what you didn't like/thought they ruined. I personally liked everything up until Halo 3 and I guess ODST.

Wanna expand on this obviously uncommon opinion? Genuinely curious what you didn't like/thought they ruined. I personally liked everything up until Halo 3 and I guess ODST.

I'm with you. I didn't care as much for Halo 3 and the later games, although the multiplayer was still decent with friends.

I want to know what he didn't like about Halo 2. The multiplayer was highly enhanced, dual wielding was great, and the fact vehicles took physical damage during multiplayer was awesome. Was it that religious back story hassle with the Arbiter? I actually enjoyed learning more about the internal conflicts within the covenant.

Hot damn, I'm being late, still finishing CE... By the time I get to third they will release Halo 7.

Also, really like this collection till now, nice shot of nostalgia.

I haven’t been happy with a Halo game since the first.

They ruined it after that.

I didn't care for it on launch at all.

I bought the original Xbox as a bundle which included Halo, and I thought it was some cheap throw in game that gives 30 min of light entertainment, like Ridge Racer (different genre I know). Played through it, thought it was ok but didn't blew my mind. Hated the repetitiveness of the levels, I still remember playing parts where it is 3 mini-bosses, which is a very artificial way of lengthening games and it is really off-putting and I never love the type of shooting games where you have to constantly shoot at every single damn enemy to kill them (like in Zombie games). Story, eh, some people are obsessed over it but I literally cannot give a damn about it; I can't give you a detail of the story even though I have almost photographic memory when it comes storyline of games.

I mainly bought the console for KOTOR and Fable so it wasn't geared towards me. But imagine my surprise when I learned that it was a top game of Xbox. But what do I know, I didn't like other masterpieces like Last of Us either..... but the story at least drew me in even as I hate almost everything about the gameplay.

I never love the type of shooting games where you have to constantly shoot at every single damn enemy to kill them (like in Zombie games).
And that's why I hate L4D games. My friends forced me to play it co-op with them and it was a brainless chore; I remember a mission on a bridge, trying to evac, and it was about spraying bullets and keep moving. Never again played it and I made my opinion clear on it.

Back