Hard drive corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xander223

i'm having this problem for quite some time. my problem is, my computer whether i delete, save, install or uninstall a file, it is reverted back to a state when i haven't done anything to it after i reboot the pc.. i used chkdsk without the /f parameter.. it said windows found a problem with file system or something like that. so i used chkdsk /f to check if there's any problem. and obviously it is scheduled the next time i restart the system. but when i restart it. Again, it is back to a state when i haven't done anything to it.. also used chkdsk /r but nothing to no avail. i used chkdsk again and here's what it said..

C:\Documents and Settings\pc>chkdsk c:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry D296ED75d01 in index $I30 of file 42310.
Deleting index entry D296ED~1 in index $I30 of file 42310.
Deleting index entry D2E6ED75d01 in index $I30 of file 42310.
Deleting index entry D2E6ED~1 in index $I30 of file 42310.
Deleting index entry sessionstore.js in index $I30 of file 42703.
Deleting index entry SESSIO~1.JS in index $I30 of file 42703.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

i used xp cd and boot from it.. run chkdsk there and it seemed to correct the errors but when i looged in normally, the problem stays the same..

any ideas? any help is much appreciated..

p.s.: if i save a file or install a program today, the next time i reboot this pc, i'd lose that saved file or lose the installed program as if i never saved or install it..

additional info. the partition i'm having problem with, c:, is my primary,active partition. and aside from it, my two other partitions namely e: and f:, don't have any problem with chkdsk.
everest home edition doesn't detect any errors with my hard drive, and also acronis.. i also let fsutil run. all of the partitions are NOT dirty.

actually, this all started when my stupid cousin run combofix without my permission. the combofix installed windows recovery console which is previously i don't have. and then after the fixing, he said he deleted the combofix log, (a stupid thing to do). and now i can't restore what combofix did. i'm suspecting that combofix might have deleted some files in my system.

Start-->Run--> sfc /scannow

This confirms all Windows files are intact
It does not hurt your data
It helps to run this
Windows CD may be required, only, if there are files that require restoring (ie corrupt presently)
It does not de-activate Windows or anything :)

i did what you instructed me, and it said "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD now." I inserted my CD and let it run. After that, nothing happened.
So what's next? should i repair it? how?

When you put the Windows CD in, it then restored some corrupted files
After restart what is the status? Is it now working?

Please try this:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • (tick) To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

i restarted the pc after using the "sfc /scannow" command.. but, the problem still persist.. i also tried manual chkdsk and scheduled a chkdsk on the next restart.. but when i restarted it, it seemed to boot normally as if i didn't schedule any chkdsk..
it's like my system was frozen since nov. 6 (the date my stupid cousin used that combofix).. but i'm not using any program that freezes my system..

i used chkdsk in cmd and here's the log file

C:\Documents and Settings\pc>chkdsk C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

41897488 KB total disk space.
26727820 KB in 64923 files.
19872 KB in 6127 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
193636 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
14956160 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
10474372 total allocation units on disk.
3739040 allocation units available on disk.

i can't use the /f parameter because my pc boots normally even if i schedule a chkdsk, or whatever parameter it is..

Ok I I have got it all now, and understand the problem
Actually I have also seen this issue before, and there are even Check Disk repair programs available.

So here's the choices

1. Use that Check Disk Repair program I was talking about
Run t h i s reg file, answering Yes to merge it to registry
Restart your computer

Once Checkdisk finishes, and Windows starts again, run t h i s reg key to turn Checkdisk back off

or...

2. Start your computer using the Windows boot CD
Allow it to run and load all those devices automatically
Press R to go to the Recovery Console
Press 1
Press Enter
On the Recovery Console (basically a command prompt)
type in chkdsk C:/f
Then press enter
When finished, remove the CD
Type exit (or just Restart)

or...

3. Backup all data (do you know where this is leading?)
And Re-install Windows

How did one of those go?

for the option one, what disk repair program would you recommend me? i guess it will be of no use even if i try it. because even option #2 didn't work.
as for the option #2, i've already done it. the available parameters for chkdsk are only /p and /r.. so, i used what's available. then the checking seems to be fine,it said it fixed the errors.. and i restarted the computer. and, there's still no effect.. as for the option #3, are you saying that i've got to reformat this partition? too bad i've got to go for the last resort.. :dead:

There's a clickable link in option#1
Install (merge) the reg file, then just restart

Otherwise 3 here you come :(

option 1 didn't work either.. guess i'll just have to do it the hard way..
a quick question. do i have to reformat my 2 other partitions? or just this one that im having problem with?

Personally I'd remove all partitions (not exactly format)
Then do not create any partitions (unless truly wanted extra partions)
Then install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back