Hard drive issues after power outage

andy06shake

The power in my flat turned off because I forgot to get credit and it seems to have damaged my Lacie 1Tb external USB drive. Windows seems to have stopped seeing it in my computer so I have done the following so far

1.Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
2.Right mouse click on My Computer
3.Left click on Manage
4.Left click on Device Manager
5.Expand the USB list
6.Find the USB device
7.Right mouse click - Uninstall
8.Turn off the external USB hard drive
9.Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
Windows refuses to find the driver and returns "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I can here the drive platter spin and the drive lights up so I think the power is ok. Can anyone help please?

Gotta get a UPS my friend... save yourself a lot of hassle.

If the drive was busy at the time the power was cut, the filesystem could be corrupted. My recommendation is to use any recovery software that was bundled with the drive. If this isn't available I would try the drive on another system, perhaps one with a different OS. If you still can't get it working, try downloading the interface drivers from the manufacturer and install them manually. As a last resort you can consult tech support directly but if you don't have any luck, you may be looking at a worse scenario I'm afraid.

If all else fails it may be time for disk diagnostics...

Unfortunely EXCell is right, UPS is a lifesaver, much easier to buy one then to have to replace data lost due to the lack of one.

~Alex

Its sound guys I just removed the external housing and am using it as in internal drive now. Windows seems to have fixed it at startup so cheers anyway. I nearly lost a Terabyte!!!

Back