Hard Drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

I recently built a new computer. I used all new parts except hard drives I took those from my old computer to save all of my information. So I had a decent computer with everything but a hard drive. So I took my parents hard drive from their computer and put it in my old setup. When I turn the computer on it boots but then constantly restarts. I tried starting up in all of my advanced options, last known good config, safe mode, safe mode with networking and a few others. One of the options is something like start up with out automatic restarts. When I do that I get the bsod and it has the numbers 0x0000007b 0xbacc3528 0x0000034 and then the rest are just oxoooooooo. My new computer runs Vista and this hard drive is setup for xp so I am not sure if I can put it in to run chkdsk. Everything on my old computer worked fine before. Everything on my parents computer worked but it was really slow, the computer is probably 7 years old. I no longer have access to their old computer so I can't put the hard drive back in to check it. Any ideas?

my first thought would be to reinstall the OS, sometimes it will work whit out but most it will not.

I have a lot of information on this hard drive I would like to keep. The other problem is that i don't have the orignal install disk. I could probably get around that but I think I would lose all the information I am trying to keep.

The problem is that your old hard drive and Windows installation are using drivers for the old, different storage controller.

Install the hard drive into your old computer or rebuild it. Go to device manager, IDE/ATAPI controllers. Look for a storage controller such as SIS, Intel or VIA. Right click on it and 'click update driver'. Select install from a list or specific location, don't search and choose a driver, uncheck show compatible hardware and choose 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' and reboot.

Once the PC has rebooted, shut it down and put it into the old PC. Boot up and all should work fine, apart from needing drivers for the new hardware.

I tested my ram and that works fine. I tried a new hard drive with no operating system and when I did it shows up error can not load operating system. I don't get this error with the other hard drive so I am assuming that it can load the operating system on the other drive fine.

You need to put your old hard drive with the windows installation that you want to save, back into the old computer to perform the above steps.

Then you either need to find a PC running a similar chipset or perform a repair install of Windows, it's going to get messy though.

Is there anyway to access the hard drive in vista? If I plug it in as a slave drive? and move the stuff to this computer then do a complete wipe? or because it has an operating system Vista will be a pain about it.

Yep if you plug it in as a slave, Vista will recognise it and you'll be able to access the data from it.

The only problem you may get is that the BIOS finds the old HDD first and tries to boot from it, but all you need to change is the hard disk order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back