Hard drive sector 0 corrupted!

I am Currently seeking information and ways to fix my friends laptop hard drive..

It as been infected with some virus...

i boot the hard drive....get a blue screen(forgot the error message)

then.. i tried to run a system restore...

System Restore doesn't even work

Then i tried install another OS ...but the BIOS doesn't detect there is a hard drive

i have tried to format and in the BIOS its saying there is no Hard drive.

what should i do to fix this?

Can a Trojan completely eradicate Sector 0 or damage the boot Record...how can this be fixed.

Nasty symptom

Can a Trojan completely eradicate Sector 0
NO
or damage the boot Record.
Yes, easily

I would venture a guess that the partition table is gone or massively corrupted.
How did you get to a format? I guess that's what you WANTED but didn't get a chance to perform ... yes/no?

Then i tried install another OS ...but the BIOS doesn't detect there is a hard drive

I could be wrong but I suspect it is Windows Setup that does not detect the hard drive, not the BIOS. If so and especially if this is Windows XP, you will need to resolve the SATA/RAID controller drive problem before you can complete the Windows installation. Change the mode in the BIOS to IDE instead of SATA or RAID, install the SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 prompt (using a floppy drive) or create a slipstream Windows CD with the drivers incorporated into it.

How did you get to a format? I guess that's what you WANTED but didn't get a chance to perform ... yes/no?

Yes i didn't get to perform a format.
because...i started to run the Win XP CD and in the initial Setup there was no Drive partition displaying..after i restarted the Machine it was like the HDD Disappeared.

I could be wrong but I suspect it is Windows Setup that does not detect the hard drive, not the BIOS. If so and especially if this is Windows XP, you will need to resolve the SATA/RAID controller drive problem before you can complete the Windows installation. Change the mode in the BIOS to IDE instead of SATA or RAID, install the SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 prompt (using a floppy drive) or create a slipstream Windows CD with the drivers incorporated into it.

ok i gonna try that...but someone said it was best i buy a new HDD...

In addition to mailpup's informed comments, if you enable IDE mode in BIOS, and in case the HDD is then recognized, and you proceed to install XP after slip-streaming SATA drivers on setup CD, you will get BSOD if you don't revert IDE emulation mode back to ACHI in the BIOS, so don't forget to switch back. Best of luck ....

Back