Hard shut down on some games

Maliceo

I have had this gaming laptop for some time (Toshiba Qosmio X505) for a decent amount of time, less than a year. Well, I've always been able to run graphic intensive games and what-not very well, but recently during some games my computer just hard shuts down out of nowhere. Examples of this are DayZ mod of Arma2, TERA-Online, and Civ 5 (which, strangely, I can run on DX9 perfectly fine, but when run with DX11 it does it). I'm not sure what's causing it but I will be happy to download w/e programs are required and link the text files.

I figured these errors may help diagnose the problem

The SBSD Security Center Service service depends the following service: wscsvc. This service might not be installed.

The Common Client Job Manager Service service terminated with service-specific error %%-1.
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Service Control Manager
[ Guid] {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}
[ EventSourceName] Service Control Manager

- EventID 7024

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-07-27T18:48:19.055256900Z

EventRecordID 57843

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 156
[ ThreadID] 1116

Channel System

Computer Maliceo

Security

Also should add that I ran an Updated Malwarebyte's full scan, got no threats. Did the same with Spybot after, same, nothing there...so I'm no PC expert at all but my ideas are either a DirectX issue somehow :-\

This sounds like a heat issue. High temps will shut down a system fast. Do you have a laptop cooling pad? Check the vents for dust build up.

No I can't say I do, and I'm cleaning my computer after typing this. Don't suppose you have any suggestions on a cooling pad for an 18.4 inch Laptop?

I apologize for accidentally bumping, but I don't think I can edit my posts to just add things so I have to post replies as far as I can see :( Should I maybe run a program to check all my hardware is ok? Any1 got an idea of a good program for that that I could post the results or somethin?

Well let's see...I had Civ 5 cause a hard shut down, so I updated my drivers..didn't seem to do anything as they were apparently still up to date.

Did you find any dust to clean out? Now we have found that often one game will cause issues while others don't so updating the drivers helps. But usually the rule is: If it ain't broke don't fix it. Go to Toshiba's website, find your exact model and update the latest wireless/NIC drivers that they offer.

Yes sir, there was some Dust that needed cleaning, and I've ordered a cooling pad (Cool Master SF-19 to be specific). So I'll check and try to update these drivers, then I intend to use the cooling pad when it arrives, and see if the problem is fixed. It should only take a few days to get here and then I can post the results, if it's fixed, if it's still happening, ect. Thank you SO much sirfor helping me out with this. Is there some way Icangive you like "+rep" or something? I'm new to the site as you can see :)

The best thing we get is the satisfaction of helping people as best we can. :) Before updating anymore drivers first see if the removal of dust + new cooling pad rectifies the issue. If it does then hold off anymore updating. Remember: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Alrighty, my cooling pad should arrive on Friday, so I'll get that baby set up, have it on max and try to play one of the games that is causing the hard restart. Here's hoping :)

So...it still hard shut down, even with the cooling pad on max

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event ID: 41

[FONT=Segoe UI]+[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]System[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]-[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]EventData[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]BugcheckCode[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]BugcheckParameter1[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0x0[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]BugcheckParameter2[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0x0[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]BugcheckParameter3[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0x0[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]BugcheckParameter4[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0x0[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]SleepInProgress[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]false[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]PowerButtonTimestamp[/FONT] [FONT=Segoe UI]0[/FONT]

This is really worrying me as this is a gaming laptop and cost a lot...for it to be having issues in less than a year kinda worries me...is there any advice you can give me about how to figure out wtf is happening?

First, is this system still under warranty?

Second, have you ever run memtest or have done a hard drive diagnostics?

I believe it is under warranty, so that's my last resort.

Also, I do not believe I have done those

Seriously, our stance here is if it is under warranty then the manufacture MUST fix it for you. This should not be and don't let them give you the run around. They need to fix it.

I agree, but if I have a means to see what's causing it I should try to correct it myself no? So I can still use a computer and not be without one for weeks?

You would be better off to take Route44 advice. If you are still under warranty. You try fixing it your self . You will void your warranty. From the sounds of your problem you are better off letting then fix it. I can imagine what you spent on it to buy. If it were me and I spent that much. You better bet the manufacture . Would be fixing it. But it up to you to decide. GoodLuck.

Well I'm saying more like run programs and what not to see what is causing the issue, not actually go in the computer, that would be suicide for me lol

Are any of the games you are running compatible with direct X 11? If so, I would gather your direct X11 is corrupted. Are you able to go back to a restore spot in system restore at a time when everything worked fine. ?

That's a good idea, I'm not 100% sure on what games use DX11 and what doesn't. I've been playing a lot of "Smite" and "Orcs Must Die 2" but those aren't particularly graphic intense games tbh. Been playing Shogun Total War 2 as well, which is pretty graphic and memory intensive. I suppose I'll have to look into that to see if it's the DX11. Though, would DX11 hard shut down a computer?

Also I honestly am not sure about when it worked fine and when it didn't, though I guess I could just go back a month or so and see, then if it's still having the problems then it's most likely hardware issues right?

Yes It more and likely will be a hardware problem. If going back to a older restore point dose not work. Try going back about two months if possible.

Back