hauppage vs. cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new to techspot, so i hope you guys will be able to help me with a problem with my hauppage pvr. u seem pretty knowledgeable and responsive from the few posts i read

enuff of the sucking up :rolleyes:

my problem is that i am i first time builder and have wow cable(in chicago) internet. i also have hauppage pvr usb2 that i want to use on my rig for obvious reasons(pvr, watching cable,etc).

so i buys me an rca digital splitter to connect rig from the wall to splitter.then one of the cables go to the cable modem,and the other going to the pvr. after talking to the rude tech guy a hauppage, he stated that i should still be able to use the pvr even if i dont have an internet connection. and he was right. i was able to watch cable tv,tune,etc. but i have no internet connection. he said it must be a prob with the splitter

so i exchange splitter for a reg rca splitter,and i still have the same problem. can view cable tv,but cant get internet service.

so then i buy an ethernet card,and still same problem(even with all the lights on the cable modem on,i couldnt connect via ethernet card) so,i just disabled card and went with previous connection.

so, to wrap it up(hope i dint bore anyone) do i need to use a cable router to be able to view cable AND have internet connection or what. the hauppage tech guy said he had his split 4 ways using a splitter(i assumed he meant a splitter) :blackeye:

thankx in advance

a typical sequence of cables would be

>cable from provider > splitter > one or more TV devices

from one link of the splitter --> your cable modem > a router > one or more systems.

the switch would be useful IF you have more systems that the number of
ports on the router and then
... router > n-1 systems
.............|
.............+ the switch > still more systems

THE SPLITTER DOES MATTER. there's a mhz rating on it and be sure
to get the highest possible AND all of them must be this rating.

jobeard said:
a typical sequence of cables would be

>cable from provider > splitter > one or more TV devices

from one link of the splitter --> your cable modem > a router > one or more systems.

the switch would be useful IF you have more systems that the number of
ports on the router and then
... router > n-1 systems
.............|
.............+ the switch > still more systems

THE SPLITTER DOES MATTER. there's a mhz rating on it and be sure
to get the highest possible AND all of them must be this rating.

so let me see if i understand correctly...before i get the switch,i should be getting a router? im completely a novice to networking and just want to make sure im doing the right thing.

and if i do get a router,should i go wireless(which we are thinking of adding another rig to the network very soon). and if so,which ones do u recommend?

thnx for any and all replies

dimmakk said:
so let me see if i understand correctly...before i get the switch,i should be getting a router?
YES
,should i go wireless(which we are thinking of adding another rig to the network very soon). and if so,which ones do u recommend?
sure, go wireless. The system that is closest to the router can be wired to ensure
full 100mbs rate and a 802.11g wireless connection will give good thruput to
the rest of your systems. As to vendor selection, DLINK, NETGEAR, and BELKIN
are easy to find and install.

p.s. i couldnt have a usb conflict could i? i have a usb mouse,kb,pvr, and cable modem. someone suggested on a dif forum that that may be the case. but everything works except for the cable modem when i have the splitter on, so it didnt seem right to me

dimmakk said:
everything works except for the cable modem when i have the splitter on, so it didnt seem right to me
process of elemination. good conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back