Have you ever killed a USB drive by not ejecting it?

What are the chances that a USB drive will be damaged by just pulling it out of the port without ejecting it first via software?

I tend to pull my drives out without ejecting and never had an issue.... am I just lucky?? Is it generally safe if the drive isn't doing anything?

Do yourself a favor & eject it properly.Especially if its a few hundred gigabytes. I think that is how mine got messed up losing about 400gb's :( :( Now its dead :(

The issue is Buffering. Using the proper Eject technique will flush the buffers and internally dismount it from the OS. Simple yanking and you're betting against yourself.

The program was likely your file manager. Any utility that accesses the device will flag a lock on the drive until the utility is closed or finished accessing.

If you're saying to click OK & try it again, I just did & it still does the same thing which is why I asked if shutting down the pc harms the USB.
Originally all I did was insert it just to see what was on it, 12 hours plus later it still says the same thing. Thanks for your reply :)

Back