Having problems with a Toshiba Satellite teac dw-224e-a dvd/cd-r

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband was having problems with his Toshiba Satellite A45-S120 laptop. He had erased some programs, which in turn caused system errors. I decided the easiest thing was to use the system restore disk and restore it (which I had done once in the past and it worked just fine) I open the dvd/cd drive drawer and shut down the computer I put the dvd restore disk in the dvd/cd drive shut the drawer. Then I restarted the computer while holding down the c key until the computer restarted and the screen read-Toshiba. Just like the instructions said to do. The computer ask if I really want to format the c drive and install a fresh copy of windows xp. The computer formatted then it shut down and the windows xp didn't install. I restarted the computer and held the c key down again until the Toshiba showed up on the screen then the screen went black and said that there wasn't a system disk in. I changed the booting so that the cd rom would boot first. then when I restarted the computer while holding down the c key until the Toshiba show up on the screen. the screen would show up that nldr was missing. Finally I was able to load a copy of xp from a cd But I am unable to load the restore dvd. The computer is reading cd but not dvds I loaded the dvd drivers from Toshiba but it still wont read the dvd. I am missing allot of other drivers, I really need the Toshiba's dvd to read so I can get the driver and software that came with my computer. Can any one help me

It is possible that the CD/DVD drive is wearing out, but you would be better off by going to Toshiba's support website and downloading the drivers and other utilities directly from there. No CD needed...

Yes Tedster,
the laptop CD/DVD drives are exposed to more heat and physical shock than desktop opticals

I appreciate all of you guys help trying to help me fix the DVD/CD player. I went to the main site for Toshiba and download the drivers I needed but it still didn't fix the problem. I finally figure out how to fix the problem I was having with my dvd/cd player, after trying a number of different things I put the system disk that came with my computer in another computer and selected view all files. (If you don't select view all files you won't be able to view the files you need) I copy all of the files that where in the file COMPS on the dvd to a cd. Because the computer I am trying to fix will read cds but not dvds. I had to load Winzip on the computer so I could unzip the files from the cd. Then I put the cd in the computer I was trying to fix I loaded all of the individual files by opening each file, under each file there was a file named Manuel which I open to unzip each file. This not only fixed the dvd player it also loaded the original software and fixed the driver I was missing for the audio, modem, Ethernet, etc I was able to use the recovery disk and do a system recovery and the computer is running great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back