Having trouble connecting 3rd PC through switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, ive been trying to connect a third pc to the internet via a switch. The first two no problems, but the third pc gives a limited or no connectivity warning (the cable im using works fine on other pcs, so thats fine). So its s etting of some sort that isnt set right. Any clues or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thx

Well if you go to start > run and type cmd then at the prompt, type ipconfig and if it says IP address 169 blah..... you need an address, If you using a switch, you will probably need a static address, If its a router just type ipconfig /renew.

joked u 2 said:
Well if you go to start > run and type cmd then at the prompt, type ipconfig and if it says IP address 169 blah..... you need an address, If you using a switch, you will probably need a static address, If its a router just type ipconfig /renew.

When i do the ipconfig i get Ip: 169.254.193.189. On this pc i get Ip: 81.83.229.232
Subnet: 250.250.240.0
DHCP Server: 195.130.132.106
DNS: 195.130.130.130
Default gateway: 81.83.224.1

If i use these setting on the other pc with the ip as 81.83.229.233 it no longer gives a limited connection error, but it still wont connect. And it wont show a dhcp server address, so its not detecting dhcp.

Ok, i c. You have (im assumeing dsl or cable, that doesn't matter) but you have a modem and your switch is plugged into that. So the reason your Ip address is 81 somthing or other, is that address is issued by your ISP. ISPs usually allow 1 or 2 different address(mac address) so you have all those filled up. To fix this, you should go to newegg.com or your favorite computer store and buy a router. your router will have an internet port and several computer ports. The router will act as 1 computer plugged into your internet. and "hide" all of your computers from the internet(this is called NAT{network address Translation} or a subnet). The router will be assigned that 81.83.229.232, and all the pcs you plug into it will get a 192.168.x.x number. This should fix your problem. Also, Very Important. You will need to do an ipconfig /release on all of the computers prior to installing the router. So, ipconfig /release, then un plug the swithch and plug in the router.

Well mate, after i posted the last reply that immediatly shot into my head. See i used to have turbocharged wich allowed 4 mac addresses. But i had totally forgot i downgraded to 2 when i moved house :). I actually have a router lying around from passed times wich still works nicely, so ill put it inbetween this pc and the one sitting next to me. As for the info on releasing the old ip's thats news to me so thx for helping out, greatly appreciated :)

Enjoy.

Ok heres an update since then, i now have a Dlink DIR-120 router. All three pcs are connected this one can still go on the net but not online gaming,

Physical Address: 04-4B-80-80-80-03
IP Address: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained: 5/23/2008 8:08:49 PM
Lease Expires: 5/30/2008 8:08:49 PM
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
WINS Server:

However the other two are showing ip's wich are correct 192.168.0.102(103)
yet can't connect to the net, they can send/recieve but nothing opens. Any ideas on how to configure this router to allow them to pass, ive tried even turning off all firewall options, resetting the router, turning off the modem for 10 mins nothing seems to work and this remains the only one that can connect. Any ideas?

first condition is that ALL systems must be able to browse, eg www.google.com

if that works for all, then the issue is the gaming setup.

The router has a setting for online gaming mode, and it is ticked. Still cant get online, im back to the switch now and im going to try switching off the modem for a longer peroiod so it can ressign mac adresses and dhcp to the router. hopefully that will work, as for browsing nope only this pc can. the other could for about 5 mins then it quit.

Thing is im having trouble with setting up the firewall, ill try taking a screenie and posting here when possible :) it will be easier that way for you guys to help out. All help so far is greatly appreciated.

deww said:
as for browsing nope only this pc can. the other could for about 5 mins then it quit.
You need to solve this if you expect anything useful on the second system.
hing is im having trouble with setting up the firewall,
Should be minor issue. FIRST however, all system must have stability in browsing the Internet.
Once that is working correctly (ie reliably), then we should only need to get port forwarding working -- but let's do first things first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back