Having Trouble with Headset Microphone and Computer Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a headset with a built in microphone when playing online games. When playing the game with the sound effects on, whenever I try to talk through the microphone to others they hear amplified loud sounds and tones and can't hear me. But when I turn off the game's sounds (so I'm not hearing anything in my headphones) when I speak people can hear me clearly. This tells me that the sound I'm hearing in my headphones is being relayed, along with my voice, to people when I turn on the microphone.

I've searched about this problem but can't seem to find an answer, so please help...does anyone know where I can make sound card changes (mine is a realtek) or setting changes to where I can listen to the game's sounds and speak on the microphone at the same time, without the game sound input being included in the microphone output?

I am having the exact same issue, and have the same sound card. I haven't tried this yet because of a second issue I am having but read this link (okay it's my first post and I can't post links, so you will have to adjust this):

techspot.com/vb/topic51203.html

So it appears to be a mixing issue? Shouldn't that be changable somewhere aside from the program your using?

My issue is whenever I hit setup in ventrilo, it locks the program. It's a brand new machine, on the last couple versions of vent as well - but on my older machine it did the exact same thing - different sound card. All drivers are up to date, and i tried holding down the bypass key as the VENT FAQ suggests but it has no effect.

Aha!

This was posted on another thread on this page:

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
i know this is an old thread, but i ran into this problem as well (echoing mic volume) by messing with my own audio settings, and couldn't find a solution online. so I'm gonna post how I fixed my problem. I went into control panel, double clicked Realtek HD Sound Manager, and when the manager screen showed, I clicked on the mixer tab, then on the Record area, I muted Stereo Mix.

See if this helps you, I have to wait until I get home from work to find out.

Yeah I'll try when I get home too! Also I talked to my headphone company (Panatronic) and they said that plugging the headphones into the back port might help as well. I plug mine in at the front of my tower and they said for some reason with certain sound cards that doesn't work as well.

So I muted the Stereo in the mixer tab of the realtek manager, and I went into Vent and switched the hardware mixer to "none" and it worked!

That's great news!

I also was able to resolve my application noises coming through even if they were turned down with muting the stereo mix.

Now I just need to figure out why vent freezes on any of my machines while hitting setup. And all 3 are quite different setups as far as hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back