Having troubles installing Geforce 7900GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSO Gamer

My PNY Geforce 7900 GS, Its a PCI-e card I just bought but when I start my computer I get nothing on screen. It doesn't have the right port for my monitor either on the back of the card, but it has this converter thing with it that allows me to pludg it in to the back of my video card. My problem is my screen never shows at all unless I take the video card out again. is there something I have to do prior to installing the card into my PC?

If your upgrading from an onboard graphics card, you may need to enable the use of a pci video card in the bios. Do you know how to do that?

Is it possible to check the video card out at another PC? Could be a faulty video card. Or maybe the little adapter might be faulty.

there no way to check because my other pc has just PCI slots. I noticed something else earlier though. not only does my monitor have the orange light instead of green, my keyboard doesn't function either. Yes I know I cant see the screen but my num lock always lights up when I normally boot my PC and now it doesn't(with the card in) doesn't light up when I press it either. So my PC is turned on but it appears its refusing to even boot up at all.

press the num lock key just to see if it isn't turned off. so your saying everytime you take OUT the card your system works just fine right?

when I press num lock nothing happens. PC is running but I don't think its actually on And yes everytime I take the card OUT it works normally.

mmmm, this is strange... dum question but i got nothing else... did you make sure you plugged in the 6pin connector to the video card? If so perhaps your psu isn't supplying sufficient power to the video card, what kind of psu is it?

I did and its this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006&Tpk=Antec+Earthwatts+EA430

this is my card http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=VCPN-G7900SXPB&REFID=FR

This is my PC setup via CPU-Z

spec1.jpg

spec2.jpg

spec3.jpg

Is there anything else you need from me? I'm just trying to figure out what the problem may be.

PSU seems fine... i ran a 430w thermaltake psu on my 7900gs also. You might want to try and put that 7900gs into another computer to test and see if its not defective. There has to be at least one person you know that has a pc with a pci-e slot.

I could try my mom's pc but I wouldn't be able to do that until Monday. I think her PSU sucks too though. I don't know never looked at it.

I was told it may be my current power supply because my card says it needs 350w with a 12v rating of 20a.

But he says my current power supply is a 430w that has two 12v rails with 17a each. he told me to connect my two rails into the y connector thing that came with my power supply(which I had tried once before), but still nothing.

I'll just buy a new PSU Monday probably from Best Buy instead of Newegg and if it my card doesn't work with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=5&id=1156203858494#productdetail I'll return it to the store. Maybe I should have done this from the start. Not sure If I can return the one I bought from newegg the other day....and I paid for next day shipping too =(

Oh, a different problem now.

I redid my PSU's connections this morning and now the PC posts with my videocard in the slot. However when the 6-pin connector is in it doesn't. I take it out and the pc works but it will not detect my card. I'll have to fool wiith it a bit more when I'm off from work which isn't for like another 10 hrs, but can anyone figure out what the problem maybe this time?

Its good I can get the pc to actually run with the card in the slot now, but if its not detecting it still defeats the purpose.

can you log into windows with the 7900gs installed? If so, its most likely a psu problem, the fact that you say plugging in the 6pin doesn't make the system boot makes it a sure bet your psu might not be sufficient enough to power the card.

PSO Gamer said:
I was told it may be my current power supply because my card says it needs 350w with a 12v rating of 20a.

But he says my current power supply is a 430w that has two 12v rails with 17a each. he told me to connect my two rails into the y connector thing that came with my power supply(which I had tried once before), but still nothing.

I'll just buy a new PSU Monday probably from Best Buy instead of Newegg and if it my card doesn't work with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=5&id=1156203858494#productdetail I'll return it to the store. Maybe I should have done this from the start. Not sure If I can return the one I bought from newegg the other day....and I paid for next day shipping too =(

well like i said before a 430w should be enough to power a 7900gs. I ran that card with an antec 430w not to long ago. I just recently upgraded to a rocketfish 700w because i'm planning on getting an 8800gt soon. Anyway 430w is fine. However this can depend on what you hooked up to it. If you got LOTS of stuff hooked up that can drain your 430w. I don't have that much stuff hooked up to my system. at least from my perspective. But yeah your issue sounds more like a psu issue then anything else.

Sorry for the double post but here's an update.

The video card's customer support finally got back at me and told me that this video card isn't compatible with my motherboard. Called my computer's manufacturer and they tell me it should work. This isn't helping too much lol. I gotta get to my mom's pc and try the video card and hopefully I'll have the real answer.

If it works in my mom's PC that means it is my motherboard. My PC's manufacturer says that it may be possible that my PCI-e port itself could be faulty. If thats the case they said they'll take care of it. anyway here's a link to what my PC is supposed to be setup.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...6897&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Maybe someone can figure out the real issue here.

thats pretty much the only thing you can do, try ur best to test that card at another pc if possible. Stupid suggestion, might want to try it. Have you tried updating the drivers for your mobo? Specifically the chipset on it? Maybe a driver update will fix the problem. I doubt it but you can give it a shot.

Yes I tried but they all are current already

Also...looking at this pic from CPU-Z I posted earlier

spec2.jpg

I just noticed there's no graphical interface listed. Why is that? Then again now that I think about it, I am still using my integrated so I guess thats why.

yeah if your using integrated then the other won't show up and vice versa. Are your bios current? if not you might want to try a bios update.

Checked it all out bios is current and everything. Tried card in mom's PC. It works. theres something wrong with my mobo apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back