Having ussues getting my computer to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently assembled a computer. I've built a computer before, and can't seem to figure out why this one won't turn on. I have an abit-n68sv series am2 slot motherboard, an amd athalon 64 am2 slot processor, corsair 2 X 1gig memory modules, a dvd rw/r drive, a western digital 120GB ide hard drive, and a thermaltake armor mx vh8000 series case. I've connected everything properly, and it just won't turn on. The motherboard was designed for a 24-pin atx12v / 8-pin eps12v power supply. i have a 20-pin atx12v / 4-pin atx12v power supply, and i thought that could be the problem, but the manual for the motherboard says it can handle it. so i'm at a loss, anyone got any ideas?

I had the same issue a few months ago on my latest build; couldn't figure out for the life of me. I made sure the PSU was delivering via multimeter (which it was). Then I stripped down everything and re-installed and connected everything to my power one at a time.

Honestly, I can't tell you exactly what I did right but the old tried and true "connect one at a time" worked.

Also, did you update the BIOS?

update the BIOS? I do have some knowledge of computers, but i get lost in the technical lingo. How do i do that if i can't get the computer to turn on?

DUH! Sorry about the BIOS thing. I do believe, however, that you should uninstall all components except your RAM. Test the PSU. Here is a great tool for such work: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=360903&prodlist=celebros

I myself have a Creaftsman Digital Multimeter that I love and only paid $20 for it. However, if I knew of the Coolmax tester I would have gone with that first.

If the PSU is stable then add each component and see if it starts. If it does start then keep adding and restart. This takes a long time but well worth it.

* Check your power button connection.

ok so here's some information i forgot to add. My motherboard has a red power indicator LED, that indicates power coming from the psu, that comes on when i switch the psu on, but it won't actually turn on when i hit the power button on the case. I've thought the power button on the case was bad, so i shorted between the two prongs for the power switch, and still nothing... I am assuming it is the power supply, at least i hope... it's the only piece i had previous to this build, but is there any other reason why the thing might not turn on?

If the motherboard is bad that certainly can be the reason. Nevertheless, I would be testing you PSU first because it is the easiest thing to do. One thing that Coolmax tester has a big advantage over a multimeter is that for the power supply to be tested it must be running and the only way it runs is if it is plugged into the motherboard.

With the tester you can plug the PSU directly into it and test your other connections as well.

Edit Update: This one looks better. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705002 and they have a digital one as well. Read the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back