HD 6870 fan goes nuts

Spruce

Hi

Now and then, almost daily, the fan of my HD 6870 DirectCU goes nuts and start spinning at full speed (atleast from the sound of it) and sometimes lead into instant shutdown of my PC, but not always. If it doesn't shutdown the PC a little hit on the chassi or touching the fan itself makes it quiet again. Tried out some light overclocking before but it's been running with factory overclock settings for a while now. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Regards

I had some similar issues when I used the wrong power supply connector for my card. It worked, but until I changed it to the one marked "pci-e" it did some funny stuff.

Have you checked your GPU temperatures? It sounds like you might have some dust or something blocking the heatsink, which would cause the fan to max out in order to keep the GPU from overheating.

Cleaned with compressed air and switched cables but nothing. Now I switched the card to the lower PCI-E slot, the clip is broken off the upper one, maybe this could be the cause of these problems even though many say that the clip is pretty much worthless...we'll see if it stops acting up now, looks cleaner in case with graphics card and it's power cables lower down ;)

Still happens, seemed better for a while after I put it in place with the chassi lying down to make sure it's properly connected, it has been messing around again lately though. When the rest of system is prime95 stable can I be relatively sure that the problem is the graphics card and not some other weird problem? it's the same in both slots on my motherboard. I can live with it still, sometimes the computer is not shutdown and I can just give the fan a little touch with a finger to silence it, just want to be sure a new card would fix it later on.

EDIT: When this happened now and computer didn't shutdown I happened to check temps just before and when it was happening, it suddenly sensed a temperature of 95 degrees celsius which probably made the fan run on full speed...I feeled and the GPU was definately not hot, not even warm as I was just surfing :p , and then sometimes computer is shutdown instantly...very strange...

Back