HDD wont work when graphics card plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabomination

Neither one of my HDD will work/spin when i start my pc when i have the graphics card installed. When i remove the card and reboot, no problem? This occured after i purchased a new PSU. The PSU was installed but pc wouldnt boot at all so i removed it and refitted old PSU , now im having this problem with graphics card. Any help appreciated.

Thanks mailpup. An INNO 7300 GT, generic 350w PSU,(the new one that i think is faulty is an silverstone 500W) and a Asrock 775i65G.

Just to be sure, did you plug in the 12V P4 connector on the motherboard, the white 4 pin connector? I note that you have a 20 pin motherboard power connector while I believe the PSU comes with a 20+4 pin connector. Those extra 4 pins can't be used for anything else such as the P4 connector.

All the conecters on the silverstone psu are black. The 20+4 pin conector used for the mother board - i only used the 20 pin and the 4 pin was left unplugged.(it couldnt reach anywhere else anyway!) For the other 4 pin plug ( which i beleive is 12v) on the mobo in the upper left corner i used one of the four pin EPS conectors.(There are two of these(8 pin in total) but are two seperate plugs,they have two yellow and two black wires in each which corresponded to the 4 pin conector in the origional generic psu.

Okay. I meant the white connector on the motherboard but you have that connected.

The 7300 GT should have an external power connector on the end. You aren't by chance forgetting to connect it are you?

Thanks mailpup, the card IS connected. I took the PSU back to the store and they gave me another one no problem. The guy at the store said to dissconect everything,remove bios batt to reset mobo and when i reconnect everthing run the graphics card off its own cable from the PSU,(seperate to any other CD/DVD drives ect... I did all that....still the same problem! Neither HDD will work with graphics card installed.!?
The only other thing i can tell you is when i got the first PSU(the one i took back) i noticed one of the six pin(there are two) PCI-E connectors were plugged into the six pin (five wire-one blank) SATA socket on the PSU. I assumed the sticker labelling the sockets was upside down as the PSU was new ,and you would assume untampered with. So when i connected everything up the first time The main HDD i use was running out of a PCI-E socket! I cant see how this would affect the graphics card and not the HDD?

So this power supply is modular? If I followed you correctly, then maybe something was damaged from being hooked up to the wrong power connector.
When i remove the card and reboot, no problem?
What does this mean exactly? How can you tell it's booting without a graphics card?

Yes a modular PSU. Without the graphics card installed in the mobo pc works properly i.e. fans spin, power and HDD LEDs light up on front of case and several minutes later i can use my computer as normal. When i install graphics card to mobo and restart pc, pc wont start i.e. power LED lights up, fans spin but HDD wont work- you cant hear it spinning and the HDD LED doesnt light up. There is also no picture displayed on moniter regardless weather i have the VGA cable connected to the graphics card or inboard card. Also i cant enter bios because of this?

I consider Silverstone to be a good PSU brand. I buy them myself. Can you test the 7300GT in another PC?

Also, did you take precautions against static electricity discharge? It's possible that during some point in all of the this your card or motherboard got zapped with static. If so, one or the other could be damaged.

Thanks. I was thinking of taking the card to the store to get it checked out or yes, putting it in another PC. The only thing i can think of regarding static elec or similar is when i first plugged the power cable from the wall in to the fisrt PSU the switch was on at the wall but off at the psu and i heard a faint arcing sound? Could this have done something bad even though the switch on PSU was off?

If the PSU switch was off, nothing should have happened. But static comes from you to whatever you touch in your PC if a charge has built up, that is, if you don't take precautions to ground yourself.

Ive still yet to test graphics card but everything else is running ok. Im wonder if a circuit in the mobo that is linked to the AGP slot may have been damaged as i still dont see how a dead graphics card would stop pc booting? Would it be a built in safety device to prevent fire ect...?

A dead graphics card and a damaged AGP slot are not necessarily the same and it would depend on how bad the damage was. It might also depend on whether the motherboard will allow booting without a graphics card. That said, static damage would be more to the motherboard electronic components rather than the slot itself. Mind you, I'm not saying static discharge is the problem necessarily. I just threw it out there as a possibility.

At this point the graphics card is a good suspect. Let us know how testing goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back