Headphones just toasted my PC

So my sons computer was not picking up his headphones any more they are not usb so they go into the audio jack. There is a seperate plug for mic and audio from the same headphones (his mic was working but audio was not). So I decide to check them in my pc. I definitely plugged them into the correct jacks but when I plugged into the mic jack I seen a spark, it shut down the pc, and I could smell it toasted something... Now the pc powers up as soon as I plug it in the back but there is no signal to the monitor and nothing is lighting up on the tower.

So far I've not opened it up because I have no time and I wont be back for a couple weeks but if anyone knows what I should check out when I get back it would be helpful. I did build the pc so I do know the in's and out's.

Regards,
Martin

Motherboard could be damaged? Try using a cheap/spare replacement graphics card and boot into the BIOS and if nothing happens then I think the board has most likely blown... sorry if it is real bad news...

Hey Martin. Where did you see the spark,at the plug or elsewhere? When/ you power up, does the fan in the power supply turn and is there an LED on the mobo that is on when it the pc is plugged in. Look real closely at the mobo for a burned component.If none is seen and you don't have any power supply fan, I would try an el cheapo power supply unit with all external devices unplugged. If something in the power supply burned, you should be able to smell it. If the spark came from the jack and it's onboard audio, looks like the mobo is dead. I would also ditch those headphones.

Back