Help BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigaboo

For a last few days, I have been recieving BSOD.

I have windows xp sp2, intel pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 3 gigs of ram (2x 512mb, 2x 1 gig), geforce 7600gt graphic card and asus P5p800 motheboard.

I didn't have ANY recent hardware changes and this problem just started last week. I haven't installed any new software either, except memtest86 to check for ram error.

This problem happened overnight, one day, I was played about 3-4 hours, next day, kept getting bsod after a while. Last thing I was doing was play an MMORPG, before the bsod starting happening. Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning was the game, and it is still in closed beta.

I wrote down some of the errors messages I go when I logged back on.

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 804E7EBD OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

When I clicked more info, these 2 files were listed.

C:\DOCUME~1\(tookoutusername)\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd12e.dir00\Mini081908-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\(tootoutusername)\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd12e.dir00\sysdata.xml

Next time this displayed

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 000F73E8 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 804EC975 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Same 2 files were listed as above

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : F469B068 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : 89F97A79
BCP4 : 00000002 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Same 2 files were listed as above

For the last error message, I also wrote down what it said on the BSOD (I made it not restart on BSOD so I could write it down).

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Then it said some other stuff, like recent hardware change...blah blah. At the bottom it said...

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF469B068, 0x00000001, 0x89F97A79, 0x0000002)

This problem started happening overnight. Could it be possible that maybe some hardware part such as video card maybe got too hot or something and isn't functioning properly? Because I was playing an MMORPG. Btw, the BSOD only happens sometimes, randomly, I wrote this whole post out without the BSOD happening.

Anyone help would be very much appreciated, and if any more info is needed, please ask.

Also, I have done memtest scan for faulty ram. I have done stuff like defragment and a lot of different stuff that is listed on this site in some topics. None have solved my problem. The only thing I have NOT done is re-install windows xp.

Could you either Upload your MiniDumps so we can find what they cite the cause.

How long did you run Memtest86 for?
You need to run it for about 4 Hours or 7 Passes Minimum.

For now you can start by running Prime95 on all 3 tests for about 20 mins per test, The test will list any faults or will stop the program if there are any faults.

Prime95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

I do not overclock my pc, but I will use Prime95 because you said. I ran memtest just for 3 passes. So I think I will run it again. Should I run it with all my ram in at once? or 1 piece at a time.

My minidumps are in attachment.

At the date the last one was created, I suffered another BSOD.This one didn't show an error message after I started up my computer, but this message was on the blue screen...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then it said somestuff and at the bottom.

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000B, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9CB8983)
portcls.sys - address B9CB8983 base at B9CB700, datestamp 41107f13

A few of the MiniDumps cite "memory corruption" which is caused by Bad Device Drivers and 1 Driver that is cited is "smwdm.sys" which is a SoundMAX Integrated Audio Driver. I would suggest you remove it using Driver Cleaner Pro and Install the Latest Version from their Website.

Dude! I just remember I uninstalled soundmax a few days ago, and the next day I started encountering this problem. I will tell you if I get any more errors.

Thanks, for now :)

edit: with the prime95 program you gave me. I did the test, but the inplace large FFT test gives me an error.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990234375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999866486, expected less than 0.4

I do not know if that will actually bother, me, but is that an error?

I do not overclock my pc, but I will use Prime95 because you said.

It has been found that Prime95 is a Good Hardware Testing Tool as well as a Overclocking Tool.

Ok since it found errors in 1 of the Tests could you please Rerun Memtest86 like mentioned, The Large FFT's test runs it Test on the RAM and CPU, I would suspect RAM at the moment as well as the Driver you need to reinstall.

So just do those if Memtest passes Ok then it was just the Driver Problem possibly but will see what happens.

Sorry for the delay. I ran memtest for 7 passes, no errors.

I found out how to read those minidumps, and there were several errors. One was coming from nv4_disp.dll, my nvidia video card driver. And 3 more from portcls.sys, ntoskrnl.sys and sysaudio.sys which I think are all located in system32/driver.

So now I am confused, it seems to that my sound, video, and windows driver all got corrupted at once, on the same day. Anyway, I will fix system32 error by using the Recovery tool.

But I can't fix the nv4_disp.dll. I tried going to safe mode, uninstalling the driver from My computer>properties>hardware>device manager>display adapters. Then reinstalled, but didn't work. How can I fix nv4_disp.dll?

EDIT: I checked the nv4_disp.dll minidump again, and somewhere in the center of the log, it said that ntoskrnl.sys could not load.. or something like that. Could it be possible that my nv4_disp is not corrupt, and that my system32 is corrupt causing the computer to somehow think nv4 is corrupt? (I am not very tech savy)

I doubt those Drivers are corrupt, It seems to be around the RAM or CPU area because it wouldn't show errors unless there was 1 in the Prime95.

This error can be caused by Mismatched RAM could you try taking out those 2x512mb Cards and then try running the Game. You shouldn't really run 2 different sizes of RAM and I bet they would be Different Manufacturers as well, they shouldn't be mixed either.

When using RAM cards you shouldn't Mix Different Manufacturers, Memory Sizes or Bus Speeds. You could mix them but it isn't advised to.

Alright, I will try taking out those 2 ram. All my ram is ddr pc3200, but they are from different manufacturers and different sizes.

Also, I don't always crash in game, sometimes I get the BSOD out of game, and sometimes I play for 3 hours with no bsod.

Will let you know my results with only 2 gigs by tomorrow.

Just a quick question though, why would it say on the bsod that nv4_disp is causing the problem, and that some files like sysaudio.sys and portcls.sys are causing the problem?

I haven't had a chance to try my game, but with the 2x512 out of my system, I ran prime95 and still got the same error.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4995766385, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

I guess you got the Error on the Large FFT's test, continue to switch the RAM cards about in Different Configurations to see if you can find a Faulty RAM Card i.e Different RAM Slots.

I tried 1 ram at a time in different configerations and tried running prime95 large fft's test. Still got the error. I tried about 10 different configurations.

I still get the blue screen as well, and the error message saying nv4_disp.dll and sometimes ntoskrnl.sys and other files. I am starting to think that the problem isn't coming from those files, but from somewhere else but the computer is telling me it is from those files.

EDIT: I put all my ram back in and ran the Blend test in prime95, this time I got an error after 4 minutes. Exact same error as the Large FFT.

Did it fail on any of the other tests "Small FFT's" or "Blend"?

Also please note that what it says in the MiniDump isn't always right it doesn't always specify the correct area. That is really just a general driver to put in, anything like that or a Windows Kernel Driver you should always look in the direction of Hardware first.

It doesn't sound like the RAM is wrong because it wouldn't all go, it maybe a CPU or Motherboard failure.

If you didn't get errors on the other 2 tests I mentioned then you may be looking at a Motherboard failure, because the 0x50 errors are caused by Defective Memory this can include the Motherboard as well because of the RAM slots.

I did get an error on the blend test after 4 minutes. the Small fft doesnt give me errors.

If there is a motherboard failure, do I have to buy a new one, or is their an alternate? I have the Asus P5P800. From what i know, this bsod starting happening overnight.

Thanks a bunch for helping.

You should have mentioned the Blend Test failing as well that really helps now since the Small FFT's test didn't fail it means its either the RAM Cards or RAM Slots.

Just 1 last test for you, If possible try using the RAM cards in another Machine and I guess you can see where this is going.

If the RAM cards work in another Machine then you seem to have Faulty RAM Slots on the Motherboard or something on the Motherboard is faulty. Which at the Moment the Motherboard seems the most Logical since all RAM cards are unlikely to go Faulty.

I had a professional look at it. He scanned all my hardware, and wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp.

That fixed the bsod, but now I get random reboots. No bsod, no error message. The reboot is always at random time, sometimes after 5 minutes of running the computer, sometimes after 30.

Now what?.... There is no problem with my hardware. And I know it isn't my power supply, because I had that replacd a few months ago. The guy said he can't find what is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Basically doing all that will have ruled Software out and Device Drivers because of Reinstalling Windows,

Have you tried Prime95 again?

It looks to have been the Motherboard the last time I picked this Thread up and I still think it is, so try Prime95 again and see if it Fails on the Same 2 tests again.

I didn't really have any software that I needed. I could reinstall my game easily. I got all my drivers reinstalled.

And, ya they both fail.

I probably still do have those bsod, but the computer doesn't stay on long enough for me to get one. My friend is pretty good with computers too, he says it is the motherboard.

I suggest that you do get the Motherboard replaced either buying a New 1 or get it replaced under Warranty, it seems pretty conclusive that it is the Motherboard but I'm not sure why that Professional didn't find it and yet we can. Suppose that will remain a Mystery

The professional seemed more of a software guy. Anyway, problem fixed, no reboot, no blue screen, all good so far. It was the motherboard. I got the exact same kind I had, and got a friend of mine to install it. Prime95 passed as well, usually it failed after 10 seconds, now it can run forever, although I got bored after 20 minutes per test.

I am glad I had the hard drive wipe, because now I am barely using 10 gigs of my hard drive, and have everything I need. I had so many games and songs that I never used.

Thanks soooo much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back