Help installing new motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new motherboard and ram and to replace my dell motherboard and old ram. I got as far as setting up the bios by pressing F2 but if I continue on after making no changes I get a blue screen error message

I looked through the manual to see if there was any important jumpers i was missing but i didnt seem to see any. My HD is set to slave also, I just have my HD and Graphics card plugged in.

Here are the specs

ASRock P4V88 (Socket 478 for Pentium 4 2.66Ghz)
ATI Radeon 9700

If you change your motherboard, you will have to reinstall Windows from scratch in 99% of all cases.
Your Windows still finds the (incompatible) hardware from the previous motherboard and crashes.
Also, most Dell PCs (I think up till 8200) have differently wired powersupply connections to the motherboard from normal PCs. That may also be the cause.
Dells are notorious for being different.

I tried to turn it on a second ago and now all I get is a black screen, power goes on but now nothing at all shows up. Is there any jumpers or anything that is making this happen. Im dreading to think if i got static on the motherboard. How would i know if this happened?

To boot from a HD, it must have an active partition, and preferably be hooked up as master, but his depends on how 'modern' your BIOS is. Newer ones will boot from any disk (with an active partition).
Go to www.bootdisk.com and get the file to make e.g. a Windows 98SE bootfloppy.
See if you can boot from that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back