Help me build new PC for under $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to put together a new gaming / media pc (but im a newb). So far all i have is a blank slate and $1500. I'm going to use this as my primary movie player so a blue disk drive is a must. I'd like good support for 2 monitors, but i wouldn't add a second for a while (so just 1 monitor in the cost of construction). The primary games played will be Oblivion, WOW, and Warhammer online (note that when people ask "but will it play crisis?" id like to be able to say yes). SSD's and DDR3 are preferable.

Any suggestions or builds are welcome.

Thanks.

Potential build:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem

GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (55nm)

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

G.Skill 64GB SSD (for OS)

LG 6x Blue Disk / 16x DVD+-R

Acer p243w 24"

$1510 off NewEgg

yes, i have assembled a number of computers myself. Just not recently, so I'm not up to date an whats required to run modern games. (I've focused on UMPCs for the last couple years, and am way behind on desktops)

all the parts you have listed above are great. but you will only have 64 gigs of storage. do you have any other storage devices. also Intel is about to introduce new I7 CPUs so you might want to wait a week or two for that

Yes SeanCollinDuffy,
the parts listed look good. Todays computers are much easier to build and configure. They are much more powerful too. I work on a lot of pre 2005 computers, and if they won't take XP Pro, they get trashed

I would recommend an XFX HD 4870 1GB and the Corsair 650TX instead of your current choices. Also, you may want to check out this Corsair 6GB 1333MHz kit on Newegg that's going for $90 shipped, unless the G.SKILL kit is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back