Help! Mobo Mismatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

mobo: pc chips v1.0 (or 3.1 not sure)

hi i ordered a computer off ebay, and the person i bought it from says my mobo's version is 3.1 and the manual he sent me is 3.1. The problem is when i got to cpu-z it says i have version 1.0.

The reason i am so worked up about on this is becouse im planning on buying a pentium d 930... which only the 3.1 can support. Please help me! is there any other way i can detect what mobo i realy have and not all this b/s.

DonNagual, I think he's talking about the board revision. geno2k3, doesn't it say somewhere on the mobo what model and rev. it is?
kitty500cat

What's the Model and Chipset of ur Mobo? Use CPU-Z to tell u this. Also, clarify if ur talking about the BIOS version or the revision number(Rev. in CPU-Z).

no no its not about bios, i was wondering if there is a truely accurate way to see what version my mobo was (1.0 or 3.1) becouse the manual he sent me is version 3.1 and he said himself the mobo is 3.1. But CPU-Z is telling me it is 1.0, is this accurate? What im asking is there any way to see if this is true besides opening it up and checking?

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=361&MenuID=92&LanID=2
(version 1.0 does not support dual core)
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=364&MenuID=92&LanID=2
(and version 3.1 does)

You can try Everest Home Edition if you can find it anymore (they discontinued it, being freeware and all). But usually CPU-Z is pretty accurate, but you know, it could easily miss a small revision update like you're talking about.

ok now i cleared this up, i opened the computer case up to install a gfxcard and then i saw the magic words, P21G v3.1 printed on the mobo! CPU-Z isnt always accurate after all huh? thanks alot and sorry for askin that question, shoulda just opened it up to see myself huh?

Rage: The difference is not just the bios. When a revision is made to a mobo to support a newer CPU, this requires a few chips to change as well. The Vcore voltage is different , the overall power to the CPU is different. Sometimes it's a higher FSB clock frequency, so these chips change.

The one that really kills you is the Vcore and the power. The older mobo just can't provide the required voltage or power. The FSB, hey, so the new CPU runs a little slower no big deal. But if it can't run at all b/c not enough Vcore...big deal.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back