Help o/c P5Q-E with E8400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywired2002

I Have Following Hardware Installed:

P5Q-E
E8400@3 Ghz
4GB TWIN 2X 2048 - 6400 C5 DHX

Can anyone help me taking it to max Ghz and also getting better memory timings?

First off, if you're new to overclocking, there are a few things you need to be aware of before diving in. Overclocking involves increasing voltage and raising the speed of internal hardware clocks, in order to improve a component's performance. This automatically voids the warrant for most products, because you are pushing your hardware past design specifications. In other words, it's a "do at your own risk" procedure that can potentially damage or destroy your computer.

Secondly, your system will need to be equipped with good aftermarket cooling because the more you increase voltages and clock speeds, the more heat the parts will produce. You will also need to have a solid understanding of your motherboards BIOS in order to have the best results whilst overclocking your components. Once you have done that, I would recommend using Google or your favorite search engine to search for overclocking "guides" that corresponds with your hardware. Systems vary from each other and so does the result of overclocking, so there is no "carved in stone" method of going about it.

First off, if you're new to overclocking, there are a few things you need to be aware of before diving in. Overclocking involves increasing voltage and raising the speed of internal hardware clocks, in order to improve a component's performance. This automatically voids the warrant for most products, because you are pushing your hardware past design specifications. In other words, it's a "do at your own risk" procedure that can potentially damage or destroy your computer.

Secondly, your system will need to be equipped with good aftermarket cooling because the more you increase voltages and clock speeds, the more heat the parts will produce. You will also need to have a solid understanding of your motherboards BIOS in order to have the best results whilst overclocking your components. Once you have done that, I would recommend using Google or your favorite search engine to search for overclocking "guides" that corresponds with your hardware. Systems vary from each other and so does the result of overclocking, so there is no "carved in stone" method of going about it.

I have Following Hardware :
P5Q-E
E8400
4 GB TWIN 2X 2048 - 6400 C5 DHX

i am using these settings :
AI Overclock tuner: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO
FSB Frequency: 445
PCI-E Frequency: 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
DRAM Frequency: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: AUTO

1st Information: 5-5-5-18-3-54-6-3
2nd Information: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
3rd Information: 14-5-1-6-6

DRAM Static Read Control: DISABLED
DRAM Read Training: DISABLED
MEM. OC Charger: ENABLED
AI Clock Twister: AUTO
AI Transaction Booster: AUTO

CPU Voltage: 1.32
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): .630
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): .630
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.58
FSB Termination Voltage: AUTO
DRAM Voltage: 2.0
NB Voltage: 1.14
NB GTL Reference: .630
SBridge Voltage: 1.1
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: AUTO
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : AUTO
NB Clock Skew : AUTO
CPU Margin Enhancement: OPTIMIZED

Advanced Settings
C1e: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel(r) Virtualization tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

Post screen Goes Good,
BUt i dont get my Multi Boot screen to VIsta and Xp?

Try setting the FSB Strap to NB to 400 and set the DRAM timing control to manual and put in the factory spec timings and voltage. See if that helps. If not, try raising the voltage on the northbridge a tad. I'm pretty sure the FSB strap is the same thing as a FSB/DRAM ratio, so having that set to 400 with that FSB should hopefully allow a greater overclock.

My Ram is 800mHz, But In DRAM FREQUENCY LIST in Bios Step have lower and higher value then 800 , it dont have 800 in the list. It is also mentioned there then if i set frequency lower then the RAM frequency it might harm the Ram

Does the same thing happen if you set the control to manual for the RAM, or is 800mhz just not an option for frequency at all? The P5Q-E supports native DDR2-1200 modules so it may not be working correctly with the PC2-6400 modules. In that case, you may want to consider upgrading your RAM in order to achieve a max stable overclock. There is no way to completely unlink the timings, there is always a ratio or a strap setting when dealing with the FSB.

Also, what version BIOS are you running? Is there a newer one that you can try>

According to the review article below, it does:

http://www.cpu3d.com/review/4924-2/asus-p5q-e-p45-motherboard/features-and-specifications.html

I wanted to get the official specs from ASUS but waiting for their site to load is like waiting for a bus. If you bought the motherboard brand new, you should be able to find the information right in the manual. It should list the memory speeds that are compatible.

In that case, you should be able to run that RAM without any problems. Have you used the system regularly or did you just build it?

Ok i found the Dram Frequency in Bios Setup
so u have recommened me to
1. Change FSB Strap to NB to 400
2. DRAM timing control to manual and put in the factory spec timings and voltage

Am i Correct?

Try setting the FSB Strap to NB to 400 and set the DRAM timing control to manual and put in the factory spec timings and voltage. See if that helps. If not, try raising the voltage on the northbridge a tad. I'm pretty sure the FSB strap is the same thing as a FSB/DRAM ratio, so having that set to 400 with that FSB should hopefully allow a greater overclock

In Morning , I was in Bios Setup. I changed the

DRAM FREQUENCY to 800 Mhz, when i was changing

the FSB values, the values in DRAM FREQUENCY

automatically started changing with the change

in FSB. I changed the FSB to 425 and DRAM

FREQUENCY changed from 800 to 850

why this happend
and Is 850 from RAm is Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back