Help On Buying New Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Asus P4R800-VM mobo, bought new video card and having problems. My new video card is ATI Sapphire X1650 Pro 8X APG 512mb DDR2 memory, I have a Intel P4 2.8 Prescott pcu, 4- 512 memory sticks, a cd rom drive, DVD RW Drive and so on. I want to buy a another mobo that will handle the stuff I have now with the new video card. Anyone knows or has one that is working well for them please let me know, make and model#.

If you're looking to buy another Socket 478 motherboard, they're not easy to come by. Might have a rough time finding a decent selection (especially new ones) apart from Ebay or something (be careful on there ;)).

Yeah that will work with what you have, so long as your memory isn't DDR2

Quite a hefty price though, you could almost buy a whole new system.

I can't say for sure because I don't know the exact specifications of your current hardware. There are a couple of things to take note of though.

The new motherboard supports a maximum of 2GB of RAM (which you have, so you're fine on the capacity), however, it says it only has three DIMM slots and you have four modules (you'll essentially have to leave one of yours out).

The IT7-MAX2 only supports AGP 4x cards where as the P4R800-VM supports AGP 8x.

Also, the highest support FSB on the new board is a bit lower than the old one, not sure if that'd be an issue with your hardware as you haven't provided that information.

Just a few things to consider...

Not according to this:

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=2&model=24

There are probably similar models to the IT7-MAX2, the one you are looking at is the IT7-MAX2 "Advance" or whatever, and I think I saw an IT7-MAX2 v2.0 at the ABit website. The plain old IT7-MAX2 only has three DIMM slots and doesn't support his AGP 8x card.

*Edit*

IT7-MAX2
IT7-MAX2 V2.0

Neither have four DIMM slots, neither support AGP 8x.

*Edit Again*

Rofl I got the models wrong :D! Shoot me :(:blush:.

The "IC7-GMaxII-Advance" looks fine, sorry about the confusion!

>;D I noticed you stated a different motherboard in your post but wasn't sure if you were talking about something else or not =p

The card you have is an AGP 4x\8x compatible one, which means it'll also work in motherboards that support only upto AGP 4x. This means all the aforementioned Socket 478 motherboards will work with your card. As for a performance difference between the two AGP speeds, it will not be noticeable.
Lastly, you might just have a software issue with your current board. Mind posting the exact problems you've been having? You might not need to get a new one.

Rage, here is what happens when i hook-up new card,
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8B508E15
BCP3: 88CCC94C
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031508-01.dmp
C:\Users\PoundNnail\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-56625-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\PoundNnail\AppData\Local\Temp\WER98DF.tmp.version.txt. ....

in my system specs is the card that i'm trying to use with no success.

The card requires a 4-pin power cable to be plugged in from the PSU. Verify that this is okay. Also, make sure the card is seated properly in the slot.

Try using another cable. You might just have a bad card and wouldn't need to change the motherboard for it. Try the card in another computer if you can or take it to a computer shop and ask them to test it for you.

does anyone know if the fan on the card should be running as soon as you start up or does it kick on when the card gets hot? ATI Sapphire X1650 Pro.... By the way I download the new catalyst, does the card need to be in to make these changes to work, if so how would I go about that since my computer won't get pass the blue screen of death?

The fan should always be running, but on some cards it speeds up according to how hot the GPU gets. If the fan isn't running, you might have a loose wire. Also, if you can't even get the PC to boot, it isn't the drivers that are at fault. There's something either wrong with the card or the mobo slot. I'd be inclined to say it's the card though, especially if the fan doesn't spin up on startup.

Just updating to all the great people that helped me out, I ended up going back to Windows XP and I'm up and running with my new video card. Thank you to all that helped me on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back