Help - Operating system not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP4455 desktop. We were gone for a couple weeks, so before I left I unplugged this computer. Just in case the power went off... Anyway, after I plugged it back in and turned it on, I got message: Operating system not found. This is an older computer. I use it only for my business. I have most of the files on it saved to floppys and zip drives, but not everything. So I really need to get this up and running. I have done some research her on your site. Last night I removed the battery. I just put it back in and hooked the computer back up and turned it on. 3 error messages: One was for the time and date. the other two were: error 0251- system cmos checksum bad-default configuration used
error 0280-previous boot incomplete-default configuration used.. I went in the settings and set the date and time and exited. restarted the computer and still get operating system not found.. In the settings area and in the boot section it is as follows : 1 Removable Device, 2 [ATAP CD ROM] 3 Hard Drive 4 Network Boot Is this the right order? Please help. Thanks

operating system not found

Thanks. I did the disperce internal voltage. That didn't work. I don't know how to reset the CMOS. What the values should be. I am going to plug the computer in and leave it on for 24 hours and see if it is a battrey problem. I will let you know if that works tomorrow. Thanks

Thanks. I did the disperce internal voltage. That didn't work. I don't know how to reset the CMOS. What the values should be. I am going to plug the computer in and leave it on for 24 hours and see if it is a battrey problem. I will let you know if that works tomorrow. Thanks

What I understand from your description, unfortunately, points out to a dead CMOS (BIOS) battery. It's not that serious, likely just requires to reset the CMOS (the step you couldn't do), but I'm not sure if the computer manual has a description of CMOS settings for your computer or any information on how to reset the CMOS. I hope guys around here have experience with that particular model. I'll try to dig something up in the meanwhile.

I found HP's own issue resolution link for your computer. Sort of guides you through the BIOS (midway down the page)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...7173&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=58161

If resetting and updating the BIOS does help, please buy a new BIOS battery (CR2032 likely, CVS or any other drugstore will have it).

nazartp I wish you would post more often, as you have a lot of knowledge
So thank-you for that option I agree the Bios Setup (CMOS) should be reset by pressing the displayed key (DEL or F2 usually) if the computer actually does turn on.

It is also possible that the Ram cards require re-seating, this being common for computers left standing for a while as above mentioned. The Ram cards are located underneath the laptop under a small removable square cover.

By the way these things are also mentioned in the guide I posted

I had a the same problem with Windows Home Server. The teenager took a video off of it and left a flash drive plugged into it. In the boot sequence it had removable storage as first boot device. It kept giving me operating system not found. Come to find out I removed the flash drive and it's working perfectly. It sounds like these guys have you covered, but check to make sure nothing is in cd tray, usb ports etc...

Well, I left the computer running for 24 hours. turned it off and back on. still no operating system found. If I download bios updat will that help? When in the bios set up primary master is none. when I go to that, it says auto, or user. but how do I know what number to put in those slots?

Well, I left the computer running for 24 hours. turned it off and back on. still no operating system found. If I download bios updat will that help? When in the bios set up primary master is none. when I go to that, it says auto, or user. but how do I know what number to put in those slots?

First, don't mess up with BIOS update just yet.

Couple of follow-up questions just to confirm:
- Primary master says "None"?
- What does secondary master say? Presume none.

If you answer my questions "yes", please change the Primary Master entry to "Auto" and reboot. See if the system finds the hard drive.

If, after setting to "auto" and rebooting you still can't see the hard drive as primary master, please open the computer and check if your hard drive is properly connected. For your computer, I believe, there should be a wide ribbon cable going to the motherboard and a power cable going to the power supply.

Once done, let us know what's going on.

help

The Primary Master none, primary slave none, secondary master: (CRD-8322B-9SM)) secondary slave none. I have tried the F5 key to auto install and that doesn't work. I have checked the connections to the motherboard and hard drive.

The Primary Master none, primary slave none, secondary master: (CRD-8322B-9SM)) secondary slave none. I have tried the F5 key to auto install and that doesn't work. I have checked the connections to the motherboard and hard drive.

Interesting. Just to check: did you manually go into the BIOS and and set the "primary master" to "Auto" and then rebooted? Or did you just press F5 while in BIOS?

Please let me know.

help

Next to Primary master it says none. When you click on it it goes to another window that says auto. Then I press F5 and still the same message, Operating system not found

OK, last try before I appeal to "higher forces" or declare some of the hardware dead.

Go into BIOS, go to primary master. When another window pops up, select or make sure "Auto" is selected. Read instructions on the right on how to close that window, but do not press F5 (sorry, do not know how your BIOS looks exactly). I would expect, that you will have "Auto" shown next to the primary master at that point. Now save settings and exit BIOS.

Reboot the computer. Let me know what happens.

help

ok, I have primary master set at auto. I got the name and series of hard drive I have and found the chs for it on internet. I have put those numbers into the user area. exited out saving and turned off and then back on and same response. operating system not found.

Just unplug all the drives internally (including floppy drive if connected)
Then plug the Harddrive in only (no other drive - ie no CD or DVD drive either)

How are you connecting it anyway? Flat ribbon data cable (commonly known as ATA or IDE connection or Sata smaller usually red in color data cable?)

ok

So plug the end of the flat ribbon data cable (IDE Cable) securely into the Harddrive (and I usually detach the Motherboard end and then push it back in - just to make sure ;) )

Also the power cable (into the harddrive) can be pulled out (sometimes they are quite stiff, and require wriggling out) ad then push that back in securely (kinda push in hard)

Then turn on (again no other drives connected)

If this still does not register (automatically) in Bios Setup, then power off; remove the main power cable from the back of the computer. Then hold the ON button in for 30secs (just removing any residual power) Then put the power cable back in, and try turning on again

Then turn on (again no other drives connected)

If this still does not register (automatically) in Bios Setup, then you will need to check the tiny jumper position in the back of your (ATA) Harddrive. This jumper should be in Cable Select (CS) position (always) please confirm that :)

Sorry for being out of the loop for a couple of hours, went home. Just checking how it is going. Promises to be fairly tedious to rule out PSU, controller, drive itself.

help

I went home too. So I will be back at trying other things later this morning. I have a guy coming over this afternoon to have a look. I am hopeful I can get my files off. Thanks for all the help, I will let you all know how it goes.

I went home too. So I will be back at trying other things later this morning. I have a guy coming over this afternoon to have a look. I am hopeful I can get my files off. Thanks for all the help, I will let you all know how it goes.

Good luck! Hope it's not a dead hard drive and you can get the files out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back