Help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but could really do with some advice. I've got a Packard Bell IMEDIA 1529 desktop which won't boot up at all. When I hit the power switch the processor fan kicks in and the system makes a small clicking sounds which repeats every second or so. I've removed the memory, disconnected the harddrive and removed all expansion cards on board and still get the exact same response.

This pretty much leaves me with a processor and motherboard.

Any suggestions short of scrapping the system?

Thanks in advance.

The best and wisest thing you can do is get a new computer. The Packard Bell IMedia 1529 has an extremely high failure rate, exceeded only by 14 eMachines models.
You will spend a lot of money to fix it but will still have a below par machine.
You can save, and perhaps use, the hard drive and memory... but the rest is junk.
The clicking sound is usually the sound of a hard drive failure, but can also be a failed power supply... since you say you still get the noise with the hard drive removed.
Look carefully on the motherboard for any little barrell-shaped devices to see if any are bulding or split open, or have a brownish or rust colored dust around them. That would mean failed capacitors.
Look, also, for a large chip somewhere near the middle of the motherboard, or to the oppisite third of the board from the CPU. That chip oftentimes pulls out or becomes loose.
The fan for the CPU heatsink could have failed, and will be inexpensive to replace (get both the heatsink and fan for your particular motherboard and processor.
But my guess is that your motherboard has failed and will never work properly again.... and a new one costs a technician about $45 (US) but could cost you $160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back