Help Windows xp is messed up on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I am not very knowledgeable about computers and hardware problems, however I am pretty sure the problem with my computer lies within windows xp. Every time i start up my computer it enters a black and white screen that says "we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start up succesfully. a recent hardware or software change may have caused this...yada yada yada" This started happening when in the middle of reinstalling diablo 2 the computer froze. I have options on the screen to enter safe mode, safemode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known configuration and start windowns normally however none of these work. Each time i choose any of them it jsut returns to the same screen. What should I do?

Boot from your Xp CD
Select the first R prompt
Press 1 to log into your Administrator account
Then press Enter
On the command prompt (Recovery Console) type:
chkdsk c: /r
(Note: space before /r)
Allow Check Disk to scan and repair any problems
Type Exit, to restart

Did it work?

Put your Windows Xp CD into the CD/DVD Drive, and restart your computer
You will see a prompt stating press any key (I use the space bar) to boot from CD

If your Windows CD does not start, then you may need to set your CMOS to CD as first bootable device.
You should see a F2 or DEL prompt (for about 3 seconds) when first turning on your computer. It'll say something like Hit DEL for Setup or BIOS or CMOS or Config (too many labels!)
Anyway in CMOS locate your boot order and change it to CD first, HardDrive second. Then Save and Exit CMOS.
It'll then boot (start) your Xp CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back