Help with BSOD code 1000007e + installing a new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community and would like to get some help with the frequent BSODs that my computer is getting: I am this close to chucking the thing out of the window! The BSODs come up almost everyday, and I'm just fed up with them. I am in desperate need of some help from tech savvy people as I am completely lost as to how to fix this problem.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1042

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 000000C0
BCP3: 886F379C
BCP4: 886F3498
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Information about my platform:
Windows NT Version 6.0 Build: 6000
Product (0x2): Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
Edition: HomeBasic
BuildString: 6000.16830.x86fre.vista_gdr.090302-1506
Flavor: Multiprocessor Free
Architecture: X86
LCID: 1042

I don't know how to read the minidump files, so I've attached them.
Please help me through this very slowly, as if you are talking to someone who has no idea how to use computers!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. However, I should mention that I might upgrade to Windows 7 in a couple of months. Until then, however, I need my computer to do work. Is it worth going through the trouble of fixing this BSOD or would this problem still be there even if I install the new Windows 7? My OS is horribly outdated and frankly a pain to use.

Additionally, could anyone point to where I can get help about installing a new OS without disturbing my language packs? How do I make a partition? (or delete one)?

Your OS really isn't horribly outdated though it could use a SP update.

Of the four minidumps there are two that cite the most pressing cause of your BSODs: corrupted memory. You need to run the free and completely safe Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. In other words, 8 individual tests = 1 Pass and the minimum is 7 Passes. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back